advertisement

Your final turntable

Why is that then?:)

(The part regarding all metal T/Ts.)

A turntable is a resonance control device, therefore you need to use different materials in its design and construction in order to achieve a natural balance of sound that is as true as possible to real sound.
As Tom would say "would you make a violin or a cello out of brass?"
What Tom meant is that metal rings and to prevent or reduce this you have to heavily damp it. In doing so you can remove all the life from the reproduced sound. It's better to use a naturally damped material to start with. There are other reasons but you get the drift...

:)

Not if you want to hear the frequency extremes...

This isn't the first time you've knocked/made snide comments about other manufacturers, it doesn't do you any service. I'm sure you'd take exception if comments were returned from another manufacturer.

This isn't the first time you've knocked/made snide comments about other manufacturers, it doesn't do you any service. I'm sure you'd take exception if comments were returned from another manufacturer.

Isn't this what people want to hear? Someone who has had "real" experience with a product or a brand and has worked with and handled some of the best products in the industry. If I feel a product isn't that great and I have had experience with it then I think it is only right to say so. If readers on here don't want to hear this then I'll shut up. FWIW plenty have rubbished my products over the years, especially on here...

it doesn't do you any service. I'm sure you'd take exception if comments were returned from another manufacturer.

I take the view that this is a discussion thread, where a variety of views will be proffered; some negative, some positive. That a manufacturer/dealer/whatever makes a subjective comment is no different to any other member making one, except inasmuch as there might be more weight given to that comment by dint of experience and technical knowledge.

As it happens, I'm quite interested in Reed arms, and comments above indicate a presentation more or less opposite to SME; i.e., colourful and expressive. Graham's comment re. frequency extremes is another aspect I would take heed of (but with which model and arm-wand selection?). The coupling of deck arm and cart. will vary with subjective comments but to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest is the canny way to build a compatible system/ front end/ whatever, i.m.o.

What Tom meant is that metal rings and to prevent or reduce this you have to heavily damp it. In doing so you can remove all the life from the reproduced sound. It's better to use a naturally damped material to start with. There are other reasons but you get the drift...

This almost sounds like a contradiction in terms, certainly as regards Tom's Dais, which is spun iron with rubber rings as dampers. One would have thought that with his observation on metal, he'd have chosen another material; okay, graphite on the top may be the key here, but his decks are no sonic slouches.

l was looking at the SME Model 10 and you are not the first poster to report it as 'joyless'- is there any ways of making it more musical?

Sell it and buy something else? My friend bought a 20/3 which had a Graham arm on it to replace his Orbe/Five. That arm certainly counteracts any sterility the SME may impart. Obviously, a colourful cart. like Koetsu would also help but would need a heavier arm.

:)

Not if you want to hear the frequency extremes...
Hearing the frequency extremes was not something I looked out for. I don't hear much above 12kHz anyway these days! I was looking for an arm which helped the emotion to come through.

Isn't this what people want to hear? Someone who has had "real" experience with a product or a brand and has worked with and handled some of the best products in the industry. If I feel a product isn't that great and I have had experience with it then I think it is only right to say so. If readers on here don't want to hear this then I'll shut up. FWIW plenty have rubbished my products over the years, especially on here...

Just struck (me) as flippant and snide, and not the first time I've noticed.
If people find it useful then all good, I'll not mention it again.

Isn't this what people want to hear? Someone who has had "real" experience with a product or a brand and has worked with and handled some of the best products in the industry. If I feel a product isn't that great and I have had experience with it then I think it is only right to say so.

Yes

Sell it and buy something else? My friend bought a 20/3 which had a Graham arm on it to replace his Orbe/Five. That arm certainly counteracts any sterility the SME may impart. Obviously, a colourful cart. like Koetsu would also help but would need a heavier arm.

Did your friend try the Graham on the Orbe, I always thought that may make a nice combination, possibly with a nice Transfiguration MC ?

This gets back to our old friend of correctly matching components to suit the particular users tastes?

Example- l have an SME V on a tweaked Techie and boring/ grey unmusical would be the last thing l would call it...… different tastes etc.:)

Lets see how long these other manufacturers last, Reed ,Thales to name a few.

Sme will still be here when the others have come & gone .

As I said in a previous thread there 12 inch R tonearm from years gone by still beats most of these so called super arms.

Sme is still sort after all over the world.

Depends on your age how long manufacturers last really matters. Being 63 very soon I'd want to buy what works for me today.

Tonearms really should not possess character IMO, they need to let the cartridge perform to the best of its abilities but not add or subtract anything.

advertisement

Back