advertisement

Your final turntable

PLC-590's decent, but not exceptional. It's very pretty though. I briefly used one at home around 1978-79 IIRC, but I don't think there were many imported into the UK.

The MA505 though is a thing of wonder. Fantastic piece of engineering. Sadly at the time it was difficult to even give them away, like a lot of the other top class Japanese arms, too heavy to work well on a Linn so opportunities were limited.

I can well imagine that's a combination which would bring anyone great joy, even if just to look at and fiddle with occasionally.

When I bought the PLC 590 I had 6 turntables an LP12, Gyro/Orbe, RP3, Gar-401, Tech 1200mk3 all great turntables in their own right
The 590 has all of the strengths of the 401/1200 and musicality of the lP12 so its an excellent sounding turntable IMO
I sold all my belt drive turntables

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PLC-590.html

Alan

Last edited:
I missed out on probably the only PLC-590 in the country (NZL) when the auction app froze on my mobile phone. I'm happy to resign myself to my Frankenstein LP12 for 99.5% of my needs. The other 0.05% of the time, I'll just have to forgo 45s.

It probably needs a new belt and a fettle.

Funny how many of you own/have owned an LP12!

But then again, it’s a phenomenon that is only seen in UK. The Sondek is not that popular this side of the channel.
But then, once the thing had crossed the sea, its price had almost doubled.

My final turntable is possibly the B790. You might also add some TD160 and Beogram 4000, among others!

Gold Note Bellavista leather edition, with GN PSU added. Only on reflection I can't see what would make me change really, beyond it conking out.

I compared them in a demo over a few hours at Walrus on two occasions, did not buy the SME so no long term home comparison. The comparison was with an SME V arm on both and the same cartridge, soulution amps and Graham speakers.

I don't mean to diss the SME. If you didn't hear them side by side they would both sound excellent.

I'll stick with my old LP12. It's done me great service for well over 30 years. A couple of belt changes,Valhalla,change of arm from a SME series 3 to a Rega RB300, a few drops of oil and it's still going strong! No noise from the motor unit, no hum,no clicking, quiet silent in fact.
Other turntables look very interesting but I'm happy with what I've got! And yes I've tried other turntables in the past!

Regards
Ray

It will be an Oracle Delphi V with a Kuzma Stogi, which my mate has willed to me, providing I outlast him.

He's a smoker and I'm a drinker, so it's a bit of a toss up...

Not in the same room as the deck I hope - you'll never get rid of the smell otherwise!

I sold nearly all my vinyl (kept about 25 discs for sentimental reasons) when deciding to go all-in with a streamer and associated local storage for ripped CDs and purchased downloads.

So, after TD160BC MkII / Mayware Formula IV Mk3 / Nagaoka MP20 then an LP12 / Origin Live DC / Ittok / Dynavector DV20HX, I have ended up with an Ariston RD80sl / Linn Basik Plus / Goldring 920IGC with Jelco stylus. This is "good enough" to play vinyl a couple of times a year (if that) and will therefore likely be my final turntable. Unless I win the lottery, but then we all know the odds of that aren't good.

TECH DAS ZERO IF YOU HAVE $500.000 Lying around
184C23C1-0CDF-44DE-A552-2F90F570F453.jpeg

I'll not change my 1982 LP12. It's had new cartridges from time to time, and the odd upgrade, Basik to Ittok, Lingo 1, Cirkus and Trampolinn. One day I may move on from the Lingo 1 to the 4. It doesn't get played so much these days. The Montana Radio Cafe, Radio Paradise and the CD player all get a look in, but when it comes to vinyl reproduction, I'll remain faithful till my dying day.

Hoops youd find the sme 10 joyless in comparison. A thing of beauty and great neutrality for sure, but it needs a fruity cart to make it sing.

advertisement

Back