advertisement

Your final turntable

Never seen before that wall shelf.
Nice, very nice.
Vincenzo

As well as the lovely decks mentioned, has anyone heard or own a Rega Naiad? Wonder how it compares to the hyper decks of this world.

Najad-III.jpg

The link has no pics but expects you to sign up to something.

Not remotely my intention, you are not expected to sign up to Tapeheads, where incidentally I am a member, the one who posts the images of turntables, tonearms and cartridge galleries.

The reason the link is there is due to my inability to place the image on PFM. I repeatedly went through the process, previewed what looked like the finished text and image, presented it only for it not to load for some reason.

The issue may be due to non having a photo hosting site, most images I use are cached in a Mac mini program and then uploaded from there.

If any of the moderators wish to contact me I’ll pass on the image via email.

Looks like I've found my last tt, unless I win the lottery, but don't like them odds. A Technics SL150 mk2 partnered with Rega RB600, both recently purchased off ebay just to see what all the fuss was about with dd turntables. It will replace my beloved PTtoo, not because it sounds better, it doesn't sound worse either, but it's so easy to use, no faffing when using 180gm discs and the Techie just feels so solid after only using sprung decks for more than 30 years.
Well just in case I did defy those lottery odss, how's about a Transrotor Rondino Nero FMD
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue61/transrotor.htm

I have a 1962 oil bearing Garrard 301 on a huge slate plinth with a Trans-Fi Terminator. The chances of me ever changing that are very close to zero, but cartridges come and go.

My final turntable was the DIY one (build story possibly still lurking archived in /diy). I sometimes write an unnecessary software update for the tri-motor controller but that’s is just fiddling at the edges.

My sentiments exactly. Unless I can get my hands on a 1200G, I reckon I'd be very happy with my 1200mk2. I don't pretend that it's the last word on sound quality, but it sounds great, is bullet-proof in build, easy to set up, adjust and use, reliable and spare parts are easily available and affordable. After many wasted years of audiophilia, I prefer to just listen and enjoy music rather than faff about or change equipment. It's just going to get more so as I get older I think.

Funny, no one would ever think of a Techy as a 'final' turntable!

Looks like I've found my last tt, unless I win the lottery, but don't like them odds. A Technics SL150 mk2 partnered with Rega RB600, both recently purchased off ebay just to see what all the fuss was about with dd turntables. It will replace my beloved PTtoo, not because it sounds better, it doesn't sound worse either, but it's so easy to use, no faffing when using 180gm discs and the Techie just feels so solid after only using sprung decks for more than 30 years.
Well just in case I did defy those lottery odss, how's about a Transrotor Rondino Nero FMD
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue61/transrotor.htm

Some lovely looking decks on show
I've been faithful to my LP12 since 1993, but have had my head turned multiple times lately, particularly on this thread

My eighteen year old P9. One oil change, a second pair of white belts and replacement of the lid hinges. Still sounding and looking good imho.

The P9 is a superb deck, and significantly underrated IMO, having owned one for a decade.

My "final" deck is the one I'm lucky enough to own - an SME 20/3A. If it has a fault, it's that it utterly lacks the P9's sheer ease of use, setup and transportability.

The P9 is a superb deck, and significantly underrated IMO, having owned one for a decade.

My "final" deck is the one I'm lucky enough to own - an SME 20/3A. If it has a fault, it's that it utterly lacks the P9's sheer ease of use, setup and transportability.
And in my opinion the SME is not as emotionally involving as the NA Dais. But it is a well engineered device.

After buying this Pioneer PLC-590 in 2014 I have never looked for anything else it works flawlessly, 33/45 and the press of a button, Had a SME 3009 Mk2 on it at first and have recently changed that for a Micro Sieki MA 505 which is better IMO

PLC-590's decent, but not exceptional. It's very pretty though. I briefly used one at home around 1978-79 IIRC, but I don't think there were many imported into the UK.

The MA505 though is a thing of wonder. Fantastic piece of engineering. Sadly at the time it was difficult to even give them away, like a lot of the other top class Japanese arms, too heavy to work well on a Linn so opportunities were limited.

I can well imagine that's a combination which would bring anyone great joy, even if just to look at and fiddle with occasionally.

It will be an Oracle Delphi V with a Kuzma Stogi, which my mate has willed to me, providing I outlast him.

He's a smoker and I'm a drinker, so it's a bit of a toss up...

And in my opinion the SME is not as emotionally involving as the NA Dais. But it is a well engineered device.

I would have hoped it wouldn't come to this. But I have never had an opportunity to compare an NA Dais to an SME20 over an extended period, so have no comparator.

Have you?

advertisement

Back