advertisement

Your final turntable

I'm wondering how much performance there is left to find and how much that extra will cost.

From an aesthetic and engineering POV I'd love a Dais, but it would have to come at a point in my life where I had the cash hanging around with nothing better to do with it.

My final turntable is an Sme 20/2a (with SME v, of course, and mk3 power supply)

Although I still have a Sony TTS3000 and 12" Linn Ittok doing nothing in a cupboard... Note to self; get around to selling that some day.

Same here (although mine might be from 1973!). I've no doubt there are better sounding turntables out there (although I've not heard one) however my old LP12 is more than good enough for me.

I think yours is one of the few on here older than mine! I’ve had a much higher spec LP12 but kept the original. I do have a huge emotional attachment to it as my late Grandfather purchased it new. It’s far more than just a record player to me.

Pathologically, I have 11, mostly Sony front loading decks, some with biotracer arms. My main tables are Rega P9/Orto Jubilee and Sony PS-B80/Koetsu Rosewood Longbody.

I went from a p9 to an RP10 and I doubt I'll change it out even for the new P10 as it's a fantastic table and will be able to handle serious cartridge upgrades as time goes by.

The whole set it and forget it idea with Rega tables has always appealed to me - quick and easy to dial in, make sure it's on a stable and level surface and then just sit back and enjoy the music...

My Fletcher Omega Point 5 is final for me. I love it.

I had an LP12 for 22 years, then went on an odyssey. I had a 401 and might have gone the whole slate plinth route, but I got an WT Amadeus, which I preferred to the LP12 and the 401. Then the Omega Point 5 came up. I liked all the others but I could hear certain tendencies and emphasis. The Omega Point got out of the way the most, to my ears. Whatever it is doing to the sound, it has me fooled; it seems to me a neutral platform. And I love the look of it.

Hopefully the Dais will be my final turntable, though I do fancy a 'classic' perhaps another Thorens or perhaps a Garrard.

Pipe dreams; the Dais is better on most fronts than the old idlers and many non-idlers, i.m.o.

Can't really remember all the decks I've had; 2 x Garrard, 2 x Goldring, 2 x Thorens, LP12, Xerxes, Orbe and Dais. Gosh ! Only 10 in over half a century? Must have missed a couple.

Nottingham Analogue Dais with my ageing hearing no need to go any further.

Absolutely, Koi. I echo your words, including the declining hearing bit ! :). One big advantage of the Dais is that it's so heavy that thoughts of replacing it puts the willies up me. Not that there's any reason to do so on s.q. and versatility grounds alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: koi
I wouldn’t say no to the SME Synergy all in one. Saves a lot of fiddle assing around. There again - it wouldn’t be cost effective changing as I hardly ever use vinyl these days.

Mantra for a couple of years, Elite Rock for 28, Artemis SA-1 for two but it’s an orphan deck and the motor driver is a bit weird so if something goes wrong I might be back on the Rock while I look for something else to suit the Schroder, maybe finally get round to doing something with my Lenco.

I keep buying LP12s, get disappointed and sell them then buy another. It feels like having been married and divorced five times from the same person. The only reason I got rid of my PT Export was because it ran slightly fast otherwise I’d have kept it. I could see my days out with the Orbe. I did ogle an Avid Acutus today though so I must be a faithless lover ( at my age too..). The Avid is an absolute stunner and although Ive never heard one, I’ve every reason to believe it sounds as good as it looks.

45 year old Yamaha YP800, bought new and a Clearaudio also some 12 y.o plus, would not change either of 'em

Bloss

I’d have to do some serious listening before deciding on my final TT. I don’t have an LP12 at the moment but I can’t imagine never owning another, I really like them... but then I heard an SME 20/3 and it blew me away. I think I cloud happily listen to a well specced LP12 or an SME for the rest of my days without wanting for more.

Me, I think I own it, a WT Amadeus GTA. But it bothers me because you have to think about gloop and string. Now I genuinely believe the SQ is on a par with anything out there but I think I will end up with one of those new Technics with a standard arm.

I always felt that Pink Triangle Annie was an improvement over a similar Linn and I suspect that I convinced myself that a sprung deck was the way to go.

However my TW Raven AC is a massive improvement, weighs a ton and Is so versatile and will see me out.
Cost is obviously is a controlling factor but so much more can be achieved through vinyl replay with, phono stages, cartridges and longer arms.

Reactions: GT
Turntables - blimey

My weakness really, I love them. I’ve almost had too many to list. Highlight was an Anniversary but if I could only have one as a final deck it would be probably be an LP12 with a fairly modest to average spec.

Not the best sounding by any means but they are so enjoyable and I seem to have an irrational need to own one.

advertisement

Back