advertisement

Your final turntable

Didn't know that, Graham. Great shame, as all their cart's, from Aria through Phoenix to Orpheus & Proteus were/are superb exemplars of transparency. Wonder why they've gone, as the son, I believe, took over (in the Proteus) in a similar way to Sugano of Koetsu.

Afraid not Mike. The owner/designer passed away over 18 months ago and he was the only one who built these cartridges. The brand is no more which is a massive shame. :(

Afraid not Mike. The owner/designer passed away over 18 months ago and he was the only one who built these cartridges. The brand is no more which is a massive shame. :(

Thanks, Graham. I remember, some time before buying my Proteus in Aug. '15, being told that the lovely Orpheus had been discontinued because the chap had died, and only he could make them. However, his son (?) was developing the Proteus based upon his father's (?) Orpheus.

Of course, this may have been hogwash, but was from two dealer sources at the time. Regardless, the Proteus, which is the only Transfig. cart. I've had, is by far and away the finest m/c I've had and certainly the most transparent, having no apparent sonic signature at all but limitless extension and dynamics without pushing any distortion boundaries.

Thanks, Graham. I remember, some time before buying my Proteus in Aug. '15, being told that the lovely Orpheus had been discontinued because the chap had died, and only he could make them. However, his son (?) was developing the Proteus based upon his father's (?) Orpheus.

Immutable Music's Seiji Yoshioka passed away in the 17th February 2018. He designed and built these cartridges by hand so it's hard to think how this brand can be revived to the same level as before. Still, stranger things have happened in Audio.

There is a very good write up on the history of the Transfiguration models by Michael Fremer here. Regarding the Orpheus: It would appear the lone technician capable of building Immutable's single-magnet cartridges "suffered a disabling medical event." and that was why it was discontinued.

That's why they were called "tonearms". In the good old days, you could select the tonearm to adjust the tonal balance of the sound...

hahahahaha...ah yes, good one.Nearly had me there, I was jusy going to take that seriously...
It's 1965 and there are only 17 cratridge makers in the world...still, somewhere in Germany, the lads at Thorens were just making a new deck....
Heinrich, for it is he ' Right listen boys, I heard every cartridge there is and they ALL sound the same...a bit boring. Let's make our arm much drier and detailed sounding and then folks can have more fun?'

Nurse! Tissues please. :)

hahahahaha...ah yes, good one.Nearly had me there, I was jusy going to take that seriously...?

The tonearm got its name before the age of electronics. It originally served to conduct actual sound waves from a purely mechanical "pickup" (with a needle attached) called a sound box or reproducer to a so-described "amplifying" horn. These early disc players, both external horn and internal horn style models, normally used very short-lived disposable needles. The most common material was steel, although other materials such as copper, tungsten, bamboo and cactus were used. Steel needles needed to be replaced frequently, preferably after each use, due to their very rapid wear from bearing down heavily on the mildly abrasive shellac record. Steel needles were inexpensive, e.g., a box of 500 for 50 US cents, and were widely sold in packets and small tins. They were available in different thicknesses and lengths. Thick short needles produced strong loud tones, while thinner longer needles produced softer, muted tones. Hence the name Tonearm...

Immutable Music's Seiji Yoshioka passed away in the 17th February 2018. He designed and built these cartridges by hand so it's hard to think how this brand can be revived to the same level as before. Still, stranger things have happened in Audio.

There is a very good write up on the history of the Transfiguration models by Michael Fremer here. Regarding the Orpheus: It would appear the lone technician capable of building Immutable's single-magnet cartridges "suffered a disabling medical event." and that was why it was discontinued.

Transfiguration cartridges were rightly designed by Yoshioka San he had close links with excel sounds who are by far the largest supplier of oem cartridges in japan, are the ones who actually built the cartridges for him to his exact specification final testing for carried out by Yoshioka san and his team, he maintained control by constantly listening out for improvements. The president of excel sounds Masao Okada supervised the production and is also personally involved in building the cartridges and is known as one of the most esteemed cartridge builders in japan, some of his designs are breathtaking.

Excel manufacture cartridges under many brand names most of which cannot be disclosed for legal reasons, while manufacturing there hannah cartridges and the more up market etsuro line. I have since found out that the family were given the chance to continue the manufacture of transfiguration but swiftly declined the offer. One thing for sure Yoshioka created a very successful brand and spent alot of time listening and refining the original designs.

The world of cartridges is often full of myths, the same goes for koetsu who have been know for years been getting a oem manufacturer to supply cartridges to there exact specifications built into koetsu supplied bodies.

Last edited:
If that is the case then lets hope the Yoshioka san family sells or continues the Transfiguration business. If in fact, Excel does make Transfiguration cartridges, let's also hope they can continue to make these great cartridges again at some point...

Excel manufacture cartridges under many brand names most of which cannot be disclosed for legal reasons, while manufacturing there hannah cartridges and the more up market etsuro line. I have since found out that the family were given the chance to continue the manufacture of transfiguration but swiftly declined the offer. One thing for sure Yoshioka created a very successful brand and spent alot of time listening and refining the original designs.

The world of cartridges is often full of myths, the same goes for koetsu who have been know for years been getting a oem manufacturer to supply cartridges to there exact specifications built into koetsu supplied bodies.

Knowing what you know.... what sub £500 cartridge would you say is the best value for the money ? ... an underpriced sleeper of a cartridge ?

If that is the case then lets hope the Yoshioka san family sells or continues the Transfiguration business. If in fact, Excel does make Transfiguration cartridges, let's also hope they can continue to make these great cartridges again at some point...

Hi graham

I had excel visit me this year, they certainly have the know how, lets see what happens. I mentioned this to them they say there is strong worldwide demand for the brand so lets see if the family see this as a great opportunity.

Bought my final turntable this year. Bergmann Sindre, air bearing linear tracker from Denmark.

63ee2cc0b3aa2a512a96606e362d7e12299d2fa6.jpeg

If one must play this game, a strong contender for final turntable if such a this really exists. Is anything really final?. The thought of a final turntable is a rather grim one in my book. ;)

The CS PORT LFT T1 AIR FLOAT TURNTABLE FROM JAPAN, most certainly one of the most musically capable offerings in a long time.

Much prefer the Bergmann above for looks.

I would certainly go for a Bergmann based almost completely on aesthetics. I would really like their new Galder TT with Odin arm to be my final TT:

http://bergmannaudio.com/GB/Products/Galder T(x4x)T(x4x).aspx

I'm happy to accept that others won't agree with me, but I think it's an absolute beauty. Their now-discontinued Sleipner was a classic too:

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...reference-turntabletonearm-not-horsing-around

I would certainly go for a Bergmann based almost completely on aesthetics. I would really like their new Galder TT with Odin arm to be my final TT:

http://bergmannaudio.com/GB/Products/Galder T(x4x)T(x4x).aspx

I'm happy to accept that others won't agree with me, but I think it's an absolute beauty. Their now-discontinued Sleipner was a classic too:

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...reference-turntabletonearm-not-horsing-around

The looks drew me to the Sindre, but the sound was what made me cough up the money to buy it.

The higher end berg mans are nice indeed I have enjoyed having them pass through my hands on a few occasions and spent a little time with them on the field. I am a great advocate of air bearings. They offer great value for money and are a great stepping stone into the dark side i have nothing but praise for them, the word wonderful come to mind. They are relatively fuss free and Johnny bergman is nice to deal with. The holbo is also another fine value combination that is nice to use and handle. The sindre even at its retail of 15k was a lot of turntable let alone what I have seen a couple of used ones go for after it was discontinued.

The CS port is a bit of a wacky contraption and not for the non fiddler, but boy does it play music it most amazing thing is its sheer foundation and presence is unlike any other air bearing linear track combo currently made, including the walker proscenium V which itself is a mighty fine turntable.The midrange is totally effortless and tremendous weight and the bass is just controlled and deep quite a trick.

I also like the idea of being the only tonearm of its type that a spu can be used if needs be. including the walker proscenium V which itself is a mighty fine turntable. The looks appeal to me as I have admired and used the big Micro seiki designs and see the similarities.

Luckily i get to hear and play with these toys personally I would hate to have to decide on a final turntable.

advertisement

Back