advertisement

Your favourite b&w and colour 35mm film?

Kodak HIE, Ilford FP4 for mono
Fuji Provia 100 slide film for colour

Never got on with chromogenic monochrome film - not sure why, though I did use it for very high ISO stuff, and when exposure was going to be 'interesting'

Of what's still available. Portra 160/400 and Ilford Delta.
Faves of all time. Kodachrome 25/64/200, Kodak Portra NC/VC. Fuji Reala. Agfa APX 25/100. Fuji Velvia RVP original. Kodak EPN. Scotch 1000. Kodak Panatomic X.

GAF 500. Never used it myself - a bit before my time - but I liked the results I've seen published. Monster grain and lurid colours.

So, looks like Portra has made the colour recommendation, so will go for that. Thanks for all your help and knowledge gents. Black and white will try a few different ones, Tri-X, Delta 100 and HP5.

Keeping it simple was my solution. Ilford FP4 everyday, good light B&W film. A little grain and less contrast than some, but plenty of detail and nice tonal range. Use Ilford chemicals.
I don't shoot colour film. Colour processing is very varied and your results are down to the lab you use. There are good labs but very costly.
Colour slide? Landscape Fuji, people and buildings, Kodak.

ps. HP5 is very grainy, but it's nice if youlike that.

No one mentioned it, but have gotten some nice results from Fujifilm Superia X-TRA 400, a very vivid and contrasty film, looks great on a matte finish print.

advertisement

Back