advertisement

Your Cartridge History

So, for those who've posted on this thread, if you had to go out and buy one cartridge, right now, what would it be? Please provide a recommendation towards the budget end of things and whatever you'd prefer and honestly feel good about spending the money on, if you absolutely had to.

I'll go first - on the budget end I'd probably look for a clean Stanton 681/881 or thereabouts and buy a new stylus from Jico. I'd use a new stylus from Pfanstiehl in the interim.
ON the high-priced side (high cost is relative, I suppose) in the ~$1,000 plus or minus neighborhood I'd probably go with a Hana or maybe an SPU Classic GE MkII (see how I've been influenced by this forum?) Never owned one, but am very curious about the SPU sound. And I'm tired of having exotic stylus shapes that require a lot of futzing around to dial in the details...

So, for those who've posted on this thread, if you had to go out and buy one cartridge, right now, what would it be? Please provide a recommendation towards the budget end of things and whatever you'd prefer and honestly feel good about spending the money on, if you absolutely had to.

Current is a Linn Arkiv B, perfectly happy, but one day it will wear out and then:

Probably a Denon 103. Compared to some other 'fancier' MC's the price is still reasonable. So it would serve as a budget option. The costlier would be to buy several, testing them and use the best one!

The main ones in my main system have been, in order:

BSR SC12H
Some god awful Tetrad ceramic
Shure M75-6S
Audio Technica AT-11E
Shure M75 EDII
Shure V15II
Audio Technica AT-110E
Ortofon MC10 Super
Ortofon OM Pro S (DJ cartridge temporarily after the demise of the MC10 Super - it was surprisingly good!)
Audio Technica AT-OC9MLII
Audio Technica AT-33PTG
Ortofon Kontrapunkt b
Ortofon MC Jubilee
Audio Technica AT-33PTGII
Clearaudio MC Essence

Aside from these, there have been hundreds and hundreds of others!

advertisement

Back