Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Cartridge History

Discussion in 'audio' started by Miss Ariel, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Knipester

Knipester pfm Member

AT95e
    M97xe
    Grace F8 & F9
    AT150ANV/MLX stylus (still own)
    Hana ML
    Dynavector XX2 mkii
    AT ART9xa(current cart)

2. Markustubesnow

Markustubesnow Contentment, not perfection is the goal

So, for those who've posted on this thread, if you had to go out and buy one cartridge, right now, what would it be? Please provide a recommendation towards the budget end of things and whatever you'd prefer and honestly feel good about spending the money on, if you absolutely had to.

I'll go first - on the budget end I'd probably look for a clean Stanton 681/881 or thereabouts and buy a new stylus from Jico. I'd use a new stylus from Pfanstiehl in the interim.
    ON the high-priced side (high cost is relative, I suppose) in the ~$1,000 plus or minus neighborhood I'd probably go with a Hana or maybe an SPU Classic GE MkII (see how I've been influenced by this forum?) Never owned one, but am very curious about the SPU sound. And I'm tired of having exotic stylus shapes that require a lot of futzing around to dial in the details...

3. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Current is a Linn Arkiv B, perfectly happy, but one day it will wear out and then:

Probably a Denon 103. Compared to some other 'fancier' MC's the price is still reasonable. So it would serve as a budget option. The costlier would be to buy several, testing them and use the best one!

4. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

The main ones in my main system have been, in order:

BSR SC12H
    Some god awful Tetrad ceramic
    Shure M75-6S
    Audio Technica AT-11E
    Shure M75 EDII
    Shure V15II
    Audio Technica AT-110E
    Ortofon MC10 Super
    Ortofon OM Pro S (DJ cartridge temporarily after the demise of the MC10 Super - it was surprisingly good!)
    Audio Technica AT-OC9MLII
    Audio Technica AT-33PTG
    Ortofon Kontrapunkt b
    Ortofon MC Jubilee
    Audio Technica AT-33PTGII
    Clearaudio MC Essence

Aside from these, there have been hundreds and hundreds of others!