advertisement

Your boot sale stories

I've had a few finds over the years at my local car boot sales. Off the top of my head:

Boxed B&O Beogram 4000 -£4
Garrard 4HF in a plinth - £3
Original 1960s Goodmans Maxims - £1
Monitor Audio Silver 5i - £20
Monitor Audio R352 plus stands - £10
Acoustic Energy AE120 - £25
Spendor SP1 - £10
Rega Planar 3 with MC cartridge -£5
Garrard 301 - £35
An unremarkable Sansui turntable that had an SME headshell and Goldring 1022 on it - £2
Technics SL-P10 CD player - £5
Meridian MCD CD Player - £4

Admittedly, all of this was a while ago - the supply of half decent hi-fi has mostly dried up around my area. However, Mrs. B and I were having our annual house clearout only two weeks ago and I spotted a pair of small, teak speakers on a nearby stall - Truvox LS120s. I knew nothing about them but they were surprisingly solid and heavy so I took a punt on them for 50p. They turned out to contain Celestion drive units including HF1300 tweeters!

All those widowed or divorced women flogging hubby's hi-fi gear and precious tools off for next to nowt.

I wonder if there's fashion forum somewhere with women gloating about how some ignorant oaf man sold them a Chanel pea coat for a quid?

A friend of ours is a veteran car booter - always on the lookout for a bargain.

She was browsing a stall one day and looked up to see it was manned by an old boyfriend from her teenage years, 30 or more years past. Who is now her husband.

A friend of ours is a veteran car booter - always on the lookout for a bargain.

She was browsing a stall one day and looked up to see it was manned by an old boyfriend from her teenage years, 30 or more years past. Who is now her husband.

Was he "In fair condition, given the age of the item" ?

Was he "In fair condition, given the age of the item" ?

Ex-Army and still keeps himself very fit indeed. You know early morning run with a backpack full of bricks type bloke. Pull up bar in the garden.
He is a very nice chap - drives a van for a chain of charity shops. His wife - is a defence Barrister, mostly 'oriible rape cases and the like.
Chalk and cheese, but they are living the dream of their teenage years - met when she was 14 and he 18 and he was her riding instructor.

he was her riding instructor.

giphy.gif

Is everyone else getting random threads on the first page instead of the newest?

If it throws up more posts like the following - I'm not going to complain ..

I was at a car boot sale once. I noticed on one of the stalls one woman had a large object hidden under a sheet. I asked the woman "whats under the sheet?"... "im not really sure, it used to be my husbands" she replied... "Can i have a look?" i said, "of course!" said the woman.

As i lifted the sheet i was surprised to fine a beautiful unicorn in nearly mint condition!

"How much do want for it?" I said, "Oh, about £3 should be OK" said the woman. I readily handed over my £3. I tossed aside the sheet and the unicorn giddy with excitement, reared up onto its hind legs, its white mane sparkling in the summer sun.

"Oh! I didnt know it could do that!" said the woman with a glint of confusion in her eyeballs.
"didn't you not know it was a unicorn?" I said... "no" she said "i thought it was my husbands rowing machine, he left it in the garage after he run off with that bitch from the Co-op"

Feeling slightly sorry for her i asked if she'd like to go for a ride on it.

"Can I ?!" she said "of course!" i said.

With that we both climbed onto the unicorn, which was slippery with unicorn sweat, the unicorn made a little whirring noise like a jet engine starting up.

Whoosh! the unicorn soared into the sky, leaving behind a beautiful trail of Rainbow coloured excrement it ejected from its arse jets.

Unfortunately the woman was unfamiliar with unicorn acceleration, and at some point had slipped of the back during the climb into the heavens. I circled round for a bit to see if i could see where she had fallen, I did find her eventually, her broken body splayed across the roof of a Bedford Rascal.

Still chuckling over the morning coffee here :)

I am (or used to be) a regular car boot attendee. I picked up a mighty Sharp gf-777 for a tenner a couple of years back. These days the dealers seem to have been and gone before 6am so don’t find much of interest any more.

I’ve never been to a car boot sale and have never seen a single episode of GoT. Am I unique?
I’m with you on GoT but as we have a car boot site next door, I do occasionally drop in. As others have said, if you don’t go at 6am, you ain’t going to find much. I take the opportunity to brush up on my colloquial Romanian.

advertisement

Back