Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

Discussion in 'audio' started by Del monaco, Aug 21, 2022.

1. iansr

iansr pfm Member

How do they differ from the standard NS1000 ?

2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Axel over at TVK has a good page explaining it. Basically everything is different.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-NS-1000x.html

3. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

In terms of sheer VFM my Superlux HD 668B cans are insanely good for 30 quid. I get great enjoyment using them with nothing more exotic than my ageing smartphone.

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. Si74

Si74 pfm Member

Meridian M2's, Supratek Syrah, Audio PAX 88s.

gryphongryph likes this.
  5. Rana

Rana pfm Member

My MC RL21 standmounts. I was getting to the point of diminishing upstream returns after nearly 40 years of incessant box-swapping until I got these transparent beauties. They were so good that I got another set and I find that they thrive with high-ish end class D amps most of which I also didn't rate up until now.

6. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

They look interesting.

7. NCC220 boards for an old 250

chiily and Gervais Cote like this.
  8. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

Is a piece of software allowed? If so then Audirvāna Studio for me playing on a Mac Mini.

As a die hard vinyl fan that was never completely settled with digital, this particular purchase (in combination with a Quboz subscription and a pre-loved Chord DAC) made digital fuss free and musical. It also allows me to play my ripped CD collection, internet radio etc.

9. Denis McKeown

Denis McKeown Well-Known Member

For the joy and fuss getting it fixed and seeing it come back without a noisy volume control, and touching it to see how hot it got, and worrying how easily the paint came off, and admiring the black ribbed top ... that last bit gives it away I suppose ... the Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amplifier

Dirkster likes this.
  10. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

Klipsch Cornwall III speakers which I bought this year. Just gives so much musical access. Don’t think I could spend £3k any better.

chiily and Fretbuzz like this.
  11. marktr

marktr Registered User

Audio Note J’s and E’s. Owned them over many years, just Fabulous.
    My all time favourite purchase was a Kondo Overture integrated. Although the entry level Kondo amp, for me, ‘Out of this world’!

Si74 and darrenyeats like this.
  12. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Agree with the AN-Es, as you'll know Mark!

Totally subjective, but they've always just given me the impression of sounding (making music sound) so right. Even the most basic 'D' model. The forget and enjoy quality - ultimate goal really. I'll find a way to get another pair to work in the house one day :(

13. Julian Slinn

Julian Slinn pfm Member

Dynavector 17D mk 2 Karat that I’ve owned for nearly thirty years has died

14. Gomers1607

Gomers1607 pfm Member

Of all time, definitely my Ruark Talisman II speakers, bought used from Fanthorpes about 10 years ago and the absolute perfect speaker for my room.

More recently, a Rega Elex-R / Naim ND5 XS2 combo to replace a problematic Uniti Nova. The Rega is marvellous.

15. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

My atc 100s. 10 years ago . Rarely thought about another loudspeaker since.

16. jlw2000

jlw2000 pfm Member

NAD c298

17. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I keep looking at a pair of Cornwall's and wondering how they would sound on the end of a STA15.

Nagraboy likes this.
  18. Bronzeage

Bronzeage pfm Member

RFC Venus cable. It is the only component I have kept through changes of source, amp and speakers. Superb for analogue or digital. I guess also Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers, as I somehow keep gravitating back to them.

19. grahamf

grahamf Member

i bought a cambridge audio 851n and an 851w. loved the sound so bought another 851w and run them in bi amp mode. about 6 months later an 851e pre amp came up for sale so i snapped it up. i think the 851e was quite an upgrade and made a big difference

20. norton

norton Active Member

Tube Distinctions Soul amplifiers and Soul Mate preamp
    Impulse Taus with full RFC mods

grahamf likes this.