advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘23

In The Air - Anna St. Louis. I'd not heard of her before this one but it's suiting me in this mini heatwave

I’ve only listened in the car so far, but suspect Ms Christine has raised the bar with this…

A lovely bit of theft for a melody that sits beautifully behind her own work on this particular track.

a0480385901_10.jpg

By far the most compelling listen I’ve experienced this year. A superb album.

a0480385901_10.jpg

By far the most compelling listen I’ve experienced this year. A superb album.

played the first track from that, very nice, I must admit I’ve never heard of her before. She’s got some more gigs coming up in July over here, could we’ll be worth an evening out, thanks!

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/jpegmafia-danny-brown/scaring-the-hoes#vinyl-lp-exclusive-blue I have a download on Bandcamp and have preorder the vinyl. JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown. The title track is a classic.
I don't approve of derogatory or sexist language but there's an ironic reinterpretation of the phrase.
In case you're wondering....
"On the rap internet, "scaring the hoes" has become code for a certain type of hip-hop: anything abrasive or weird or super-lyrical, designed for repeat close listening. More broadly, the phrase has evolved into a euphemism for any rap considered unfit for a party or similar social setting. To play Death Grips at the function is to scare the hoes. Born from a meme of existential non sequiturs, the distinction is less about what women might actually enjoy listening to casually and more about guys missing common cues, not understanding that there is a time and a place for a specific kind of artist, one that might disrupt the natural flow of a gathering, or worse: something so intrusive or annoying that the most important patrons might leave."
The Guardian rates it.
Jpegmafia x Danny Brown – Scaring the Hoes
“How the **** we supposed to make money off this shit?” Jpegmafia frets over the title track of Scaring the Hoes, as a saxophone does free improv squeals in the back and the beat is just someone clapping. But it became his first US Top 100 release and won critical acclaim: his production is staggeringly beautiful in its assemblage of in-the-red drums, generalised chaos and samples ranging from Michael Jackson and Kelis to gospel choirs, Nintendo ads and YouTube tutorials on embroidery patterns. And he and Danny Brown, when you can make them out through the hail of noise, are typically inventive on the mic, and funny even when doing straightforward bragging: “I’m a big dog like Marmaduke!” Read the full review. BBT

PJ Harvey - I Inside The Old Year Dying
I struggled with her last studio album a few years ago - this sounds great right from the off.

No idea, there are lots of people selling pre orders at £100 on eBay. Vinyl is overpriced. World's gone mad!

Another contender, very enjoyable.

a3213306402_10.jpg

on 2nd thought, it’s good but not an AOTY contender.

advertisement

Back