Your album buying history

1980s - Queen: A Night at the Opera

early 1990s:
Definition of Sound: Love and Life
The Stone Roses: The Stone Roses
Metallica: Master of Puppets
Dead Kennedys: Give me Convenience or Give Me Death

2008 - Kero One: Windmills of the Soul

The Kero One really surprised me. I heard it on Groove Salad and even though I'm not really into hip hop, but this is a really wonderful fusion of jazz and intelligent hip hop that's very catchy and enjoyable. I'll be getting more of this dude.

Electric Ladyland soon after release. Most recent purchase was Kings of Leon - Because of the Times. Problem with starting with the Hendrix was that, during the subsequent 40 years, nobody's topped it for me. Had a great time searching for his successor, though.

First few include:

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love
Beatles - White Album

Last few include:

Eels - Useless Trinkets
Foals - Antidotes
Maps - We Can Create
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

my early collection went the same way as yours (bet you've got loads of Miles Davis too?). Intriguing thing is I've never even heard of the Maps or the Foals so I'll check them out - always learning.

I started in 1970/71 with a series of samplers:
Island: You Can All Join In
Island: Nice Enough to Eat
Immediate: Happy to be a part of the industry of human happiness
Harvest: Picnic: A Breath of Fresh Air
All about 99 p each if I recall, which was about a weeks pocket money for an 11 year old. These pretty much introduced me to the music I would play for the next 5 years.

Worked in a record shop in Barnet circa 74. The grown up staff, who of course were gods in my eyes, were big on 67 San Francisco bands, Allman Bros, Neil Young and Little Feat and I also started reading Zig Zag and then the NME and believing their every word until I was old enough to know better -maybe 1995. Would have more than half of the top 50 records year each year. Zig Zag had a best albums ever list round 74 than got me into Beefheart, Byrds, Gram Parsons, Quicksilver, Love.

Jazz kicked in in 1979: In another record shop played a live My Favourite Things by Trane - Things escalated quickly

In the last 2 weeks: Mingus, Tim Buckley, Shins, Kenny Wheeler, Gotan Project (which I quite like now), Autechre.
Kevin

my early collection went the same way as yours (bet you've got loads of Miles Davis too?). Intriguing thing is I've never even heard of the Maps or the Foals so I'll check them out - always learning.

Maps and Foals are two new bands and their debut albums haven't been out that long. Ooops, yep I've got the odd Miles Davis album.

First single I bought with my own money(pocket money) was" Rhythm of the Rain" by The Cascades
First Albums with my first paypacket were six Beach Boy Albums !

1967 - I got 'Sergeant Pepper' as a christmas present. Still have it, if a bit worn.

2008 - 'Mescalito' by Ryan Bingham. Really good southern rock / country thing.

JohanR

about 1978/9 First LP I ever bought was The Ramones - It's Alive,

I could mostly only afford singles at this time however a very kindly local record shop keeper used to let us buy LP's on the drip, Just had to give him a deposit and he would put the record to one side, then it was just a case of popping in every week with your dinner money until the record was your's , interest free too - bargain.

2008 - last week , Easy Star All Stars - Radiodread , a reggae dub cover of OK Computer.

1987: first item bought with own money (no turntable, so no 7inch singles :(): Now that's what I call music 10 (on tape)

2008: In Utero - Nirvana (Japanese Universal reissue with much-improved sound quality over the original CD issue)

I too own Wombles and Muppet records though - got Muppet Show Volume 1 when I cracked my head open in 1981 (blind boarding school staff were impressed 'cos I didn't get KO'd or cry - even when having stitches in. Couldn't cry really 'cos it was my stupid fault that I ran sideways into a climbing frame that I should have known was there ;)). The Wombles LP came a couple of years back, as I really wanted "Remember you're a Womble" for a compilation I was making up. Both LPs boogie like a b*stard - which is quite surprising considering they're kids' LPs ;)

1975/6/7? Pink Floyd WYWH <-----> last weekend Hawkwind 'Doremi'
(2ndhand viny)l.

development of musical tastes in the last 30 years ??

First LP I ever owned rather than being borrowed from my sister was Abba - The Album, which the daughter of a colleague of my mum's gave me. Among those borrowed were the soundtracks to Dougal and the Blue Cat and Scooby Doo and the Snowmen Mystery.

First LP I ever bought with my own money was Chaka Khan's "I Feel for You". First single was Queen's "One Vision".

Last CD was Martin Simpson's "Prodigal Son" at his Southport gig last week. Last LPs were from charity shops in Leek, and included The Jam, Bill Whithers and Randy Crawford.

Eclectic, moi?

First vinyl: a tie between the credible (Telstar by the Tornadoes) and the incredible (Little Donkey by Nina and Frederick)
First LP, probably Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel
Then the deluge- 20k odd albums passed through my hands in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I'm down to a manageable 3,500 or so. That's not to count the CDs (same number again) and boxes of Grateful Dead live recordings, mostly on CD now. First CD: Titanic Days by Kirsty MacColl. I bought a CDP about 6 months later.
Last album(s, actually- I bought 4 to save on shipping!): Horace Parlan: Speakin my piece, Art Blakey: The Big Beat (both 45rpm Blue Note reissues), Willie Nelson: Songbird (with Ryan Adams- sublime!), Mississippi John Hurt: Today, Richard Thompson: Some Enchanted Evenings
Last CD: Joe Jackson: Rain (gift, not purchased)

First LP: Darts / The Amazing Darts (1978) - I already had Everyone Plays Darts on tape. I was 11.

First Single: Police / Roxanne (blue vinyl pic sleeve of the 1979 reissue) followed by the Regatta de Blanc LP for crimbo that year.

FF 30 years.....

Last LP bought: The Free-Pop Electronic Concept (Present from GF whilst on holiday in Barcelona - not played it yet)
Last Single Bought: Burial / Ghost Hardware

There is a long and tortuous route connecting these records!

first - T rex slider
last - creedence clearwater revival cosmos factory

not moved on much in time per this but I have had more recent records in between

My first three Lps were Clash 'London Calling' and 'Give em enough rope' and Sex Pistols 'Never mind the bollocks' bought in 1980 at the age of 13. All good and well if not for that the fourth album was “Grease Soundtrack” – upon which the guys in the punk band I played drums seriously considered to throw me out cause I did not have the right “attitude to music”. Memories :)

My last is whatever is on top of the pile I have with Tony.

Carl

advertisement

Back