advertisement

Your album buying history

1979 - Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers. £4 from Vinyl Junkies in Darlington. I was on 25p pocket money a week, so it represented a huge investment.

vague bit...

Yesterday - Applause Cheer Boo Hiss by Land Of Talk. 73p off Amazon Marketplace. What inflation?

1994:

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Sting - Fields of Gold: The Best of Sting 1984-1994
REM - Monster

This morning:

Rachmaninov: Etudes & Preludes by Sviatoslav Richter

1st: The Shadows 20 Golden Greats (the one with the TV ad where the kid plays his cricket bat)

Latest: Ketil Bjornstad. The Nest.

1966ish Kinks Sunny Afternoon MFP 19/6d (I think) in WH Smiths
A couple of weeks ago Eric Bibb Painting Signs Twenty odd quids (amongst others)
What is this thing you call inflation?

My 1st was either 'Songs From the kids from Fame' LP or 'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images, quickly followed by an Adam and the Ants fixation.

My last were both delivered yesterday: 'Dig Lazarus Dig' by Nice Cave & the Bad Seeds, and 'Live In Toronto' by Ween.

Have to confess I had that - which is why i didn't do the "singles history" thread!
In which case my history starts with Burn by Deep Purple and the Who by Numbers, both of which are far too boring.

OK, mentally delete Smoke of the Water and replace it with 2112.

FWIW, I mentioned Smoke of the Water because I can distinctly remember begging my family to take me to a record store so I could buy the song. For some reason buying my first LP hasn't been seared into my head.

Joe

Joel,

Mind meld.
You listened to classic Rush when you were a kid? I think that only Canucks did that.

Rush2112.jpg

Nah, it's Spocky.

Joe

First 12" - compilation including Focus - Hocus Pocus, and Mott the Hoople - All The Way to Memphis

First 7" - Little Jimmy Osmond

First ALBUMS - Sensational Alex Harvey Band - live, Pink Floyd - Animals, AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

First ALBUMS - Sensational Alex Harvey Band -

If it's the one with 'Delihla' (spelling?) I had that too. Saw them at the Valley I think ('73?).

Anyway I probably kicked off with Mowtown Chartbusters Vol.3 and the last album (this week) was Berkley Guitar. New Takoma on Tompkins Square and a bargain at $18 (with international postage).

Going with singles rather than albums, ignoring novety records, the first proper single wiould be J Richman - Roadrunner, and the last one I bought yesterday was J Richman - New England. That has a nice symmetry, isn't it?

DS

Hi,

The first album I could call my own was won in a raffle in 1978. It was a BBC released compliation, the best of Top of the pops. Not sure what the volume was. It had a skateboarder on the cover.

The first album I bought out of my own money was Madness -One Step Beyond in 1979. I think I bought it from either Vallences on Chapel Walk or Boots in Sheffield.

Last album I have picked up is an original copy of the Four tops Live! from 1966. Another one for the Motown Collection.

There has been many thousands in between.

Dean

Sparky's Magic Piano on 3 78s's before 45 and 33 rpm came out! I still have these records but recently bought the same on CD so that I can listen to it. I think I still have a sound effects 78 that I used for many years when I did amateur dramatics stage lighting and sound.

First LPs were Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran all bought at the same time second hand from our local Smokey Joes Cafe. Thats where we picked up the talent or 'birds' as they were called then on the local 'bunny run'. They (the LPs!) were played on our 'gram on which we installed a new Monarch auto changer with a 'turn-over' crystal cartridge and sapphire styli. The original player only went at 78 rpm and used metal needles. The silver ones were a once-only affair and the gold ones were good for 10 plays and being a tight wad tried to get 12 plays or so.

Rather different from my last album 'Seven Last Words from the Cross' by MacMillan!

Time were does it go........

Cheers,

DV

"The Ying-Tong Song" by the Goons in, I think, 1956. And that was on 78 rpm shellac! First vinyl LP: "Who's Sorry Now" Connie Francis ten-inch disc in 1960.

My last vinyl - no idea

advertisement

Back