RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
1972 Slade - Slayed?
1973 David Bowie - Aladdin Sane

then a huge vague bit.....

2008 The Teadrop Explodes - Peel Sessions Plus

Cheers

Rich

1978(?): 20 Wombling Greats (at age 3 I insisted on this being played repeatedly)

huge vague bit

2008: Times New Viking - Rip it Off

Ooh, is this a kind of "first thing and last thing" thing?

1973 Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
1973 David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
1973 Alice Cooper - School's Out

another huge vague bit...

2008 Autechre - Quaristice

But the above'll be out of date tomorrow :)

Paddington Bear Volume 1
Mud - Tiger Feet
The Wombles - Wombling Merry Christmas
Kraftwerk - Computer World

There have been others, but these are the ones that count.

1972: T. Rex - The Slider.

2008: Seventeen Evergreen - Life Embarrasses Me On Planet Earth.

Tony.

(should really have used Blonde Redhead - 23 as most recent as it hasn't even dropped through the letterbox yet)

I grew up with Punk so it was mostly singles, singles singles singles

...starting with February 1977 with a dodgy French reissue of Anarchy in the UK.

I think my first LP was March/April 1977 Damned Danmed Damned, followed by Rattus Norvegicus (might have been the other way round) followed by The Jam's in the City. I were a wee nipper so I could afford singles but not LPs. I got into music spoiled for choice with some of the finest current releases in punk and I though this was normal!

Ok its March 2008
Bauhaus - Go Away White Vinyl 180g (pre-orderd I bought the CD used and will sell on)
2008 Nick Cave - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (just pre-ordered the vinyl but download it to tide me over)

not much changes :)

Circa 1974: a TOTP compilation and The Faces' A Nod is as Good as a Wink were among my very first LPs.

Giacinto Scelsi, Orchestral Works 2 has just dropped through the letter box.

-- Ian

circa 1972 "Little" Jimmy Osmond - Long Haired Lover from Liverpool
circa 1980 - Motorhead Overkill
circa 1981 - King Sunny Ade / Muddy Waters / J L Hooker
circa 1982 - Mingus Blues and Roots
---Ocora---
2008 - Erykah Badu New Amerykah

There was a steep learning curve between '72 and '81.

1965: Rubber Soul: Beatles (Christmas present, so prolly doesn't count)
1968: White Album (Beatles); a Lovin' Spoonful compilation', John Wesley Harding: Bob Dylan

[shedloads]

2008: Der Ring Des Nibelungen:Keilberth

197?
Garry Glitter - Do you wanna be in my gang? <raise eyebrow>
The Muppet Show

Cibo Matto
Kenny Drew, Undercurrent (on a format I can't play yet)

197?
Deep Purple, Smoke on the Water — $1 45-RPM single (new)

{ ... }

Ella Fitzgerald, Ella Swings Lightly — $2 33-RPM Verve LP (used) from a charity shop

Joe, doing what he can to avoid inflation

I can't remember. It probably wasn't any good though. I spent a lot of time listening to Queen's greatest hits when I was 6 or 7, but it wasn't mine.

Oh, well, if we're including singles
It's the first record I bought, Joe. As for first LP? I'm not certain but it likely was Rush 2112. Both were bought while still in elementary school.

Joe

A personal development perspective is probably a more interesting way of doing this:

1972-3: T. Rex. I was age 9. I also bought some Slade records.
1974: Discover ‘prog rock’ in friend’s big sister’s record collection: Floyd, Yes, ELP, Tubular Bells etc.
1975: Finally figure out A Nice Pair is her best album.
1976: Discover Hawkwind, Man, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream. First gig, T. Rex, at New Brighton Floral Pavilion.
1977: Punk happens: buy Sex Pistols singles and NMTB and hide under carpet so mother can’t find them. Devo singles too, but no need to hide them.
1980: Factory / new-wave, etc. I see The Fall, ACR, Teardrop Explodes, Echo & The Bunnymen etc live – this was an important year as it was the point I really grasped that this stuff was ‘doable’. I bought a bass.
1982: Discover modern classical via a girlfriend who was a music student: Stockhausen, Cage, Webern etc.
1983: Industrial stuff e.g. TG, Foetus etc along with indie, Smiths, Cocteau Twins etc.
1986: US stuff: SST, Sub Pop, Sonic Youth etc plus minimalism, Glass, Reich etc.
1987: Techno, baggy, Madchester etc. Also discover some of the ‘missing’ bits of Krautrock by stumbling on Can’s Ege Bamyasi album.
1989: I discover jazz with the Blue Note 50 year anniversary comp. One of the most important records I’ve ever bought.
1993: Warp Artificial Intelligence series etc.
1996-onwards: Post-rock, Arab Strap, Mogwai, Sigur Ros / freak-folk etc.

These days I just buy across all genres and all time periods in a largely opportunistic way based on what’s in the rack in front of me at the time.

Tony.

It's the first record I bought, Joe.

As for first LP? I'm not certain but it likely was Rush 2112.

Joe

The thread title clearly refers to 'album buying history', but I'll let you off with a caution this time.

Somewhere there's a photograph of all the albums owned by me and my brother circa Christmas 1970, laid out on the slightly garish carpet in my parents' sitting room. Pride of place is accorded to my brother's newly-purchased Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival, while my contribution includes, as well as the ones mentioned in my earlier post, Best of Cream, After the Goldrush by Neil Young, Looking Back by John Mayall, and Home by Procol Harum.

advertisement

Back