advertisement

Young people's mental health, staff burnout and academies

slavedata

pfm Member
There has been a lot in the press recently about young peoples mental health and also the horrendous drop out rate of teachers. This new book gives a fascinating insight into a world I can recognise having worked in education, thank god never in an academy. However I co-operated with staff from local academies on new course initiatives and can recognise the mind set.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/featu...emy-school?utm_medium=email&utm_source=EN0518

Thanks for flagging that. Having also worked in Education most of my life I have seen a gradual shift towards that style of Institution. I moved in the mid 70's to a town that had an 'excellent' school that had an unusually high staff turnover, and from what I am told it still has. Over the years I have met former pupils and teachers and very few of them are complimentary but it gets good results and is seen as a model for other institutions in the area. It must be tough being a kid in 21st century Britain.

Hasn't it always been much the same for young people in education?

My brother and I still have occasional exam themed nightmares, is there a no stress success route?

Adult life is similar so my education was good preparation for the real world; maybe I just need to chill out and let it all fall apart.

“Education has long been promoted as a salve that cures urban deprivation and balances capitalism’s inequalities,”

No - education has been used as an excuse to not tackle the gross inequalities that capitalism is producing. As time goes by it's becoming clearer to all that promoting education, while a laudable goal, is a band-aid on the open wound of inequality.

Very interesting. I live in an academy town and in this last year parents have been deciding against the academy that for years people had been fighting to get places in, - in preference to a smaller more personal school which is less of a business and far more nurturing.

advertisement

Back