Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Yorkshire in attempted land-grab shock horror!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe Hutch, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-59009661

'Residents in a North Lincolnshire village have been left feeling a little disorientated after a road sign was erected welcoming people to Yorkshire.

The mysterious sign, which can be seen by motorists entering Sandtoft, appeared earlier this week.

One resident said it was about 150m (492ft) from the original Welcome to North Lincolnshire sign - on the same side of the road.

Some have suggested it is the work of contractors unfamiliar with the area.

The local authority, North Lincolnshire Council, said it was unaware of the sign, while the neighbouring authority, Doncaster Council, has yet to respond to a request for comment.

Posting in a local Facebook group, one resident said it appeared the sign had been put up on the wrong side of the road and facing the wrong way.'

Personally, I think it's more about Yorkshire attempting to extend its empire. They'll be across the Pennines before you can say 'Ee ba gum'.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Quite right too. The white rose will fly again. We took back Todmorden, we'll take the East as well!

3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

At least they enjoyed a few short moments being from Yorkshire.

dan m, Alex N, stevec67 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Well, it would probably do wonders for house prices. Yorkshire is generally keen to give the undesirable bits back so am sure the sign will quickly be moved.

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
    And all the clouds that lour’d upon our house
    In the deep bosom of Lincolnshire buried

stevec67 likes this.
  6. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

You can have Saddleworth, they’re a right arsey bunch and want to leave anyway…

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and stevec67 like this.
  7. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

Who d'you think you are, Peter bloody Sellers?

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Visited Sandtoft many times over the years. Being in Yorkshire will only improve it.

9. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Something’s got to improve Yorkshire

10. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Another land grab by the people’s republic of Yawksheere.
    How about sending it into the middle of the North Sea :)

lordsummit likes this.
  11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

You can’t improve Yorkshire.

12. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

hmmm, what about Geoffrey Boycott…

13. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I just came back from a week in Yorkshire. Everyone seemed very friendly. Almost everyone had a friendly dog. Hardly anyone called me a soft Southern git. I bought a pints of beer for less than a fiver. I loved it!

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

There’s different bits of Yorkshire of course. The writer Harry Pearson, who’s from North Yorkshire, wrote about his mother advising him to count his fingers after shaking hands with anyone from Leeds.

lordsummit likes this.
  15. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I once accidentally burnt down a care home (it was empty!) near Fitzwilliam, where he was born. I think it was an improvement.

lordsummit likes this.
  16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He lives in Jersey

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Well, he was actually born in Middlesbrough, well a village nearby, not convinced he’s from Yorkshire.

18. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Wasn’t there an attempted Yorkshire land grab back in Viking times? Am pretty sure that included a fair bit of shock and horror!

19. TheDecameron

He’s my favourite opera director,

[​IMG]

20. TheDecameron

Comin over ‘ere, up our estuaries in their shallow draught vessels, sacking our monasteries, raping our women and pillaging our town centres. I blame that Harald Bluetooth.

Hook likes this.