advertisement

Yorkshire Dales - rambling recommendations please

jon l

pfm Member
Next weekend the family and I have a couple of nights booked in a cottage on the Dales outside Aysgarth. I don't know the area and would appreciate recommendations of walks/places to see, if you have particular favourites.

No idea about walks.
Just make sure you have a meal at The Wensleydale Heifer nearby.

50 walks in the Yorkshire Dales book is a good companion ..you can get it from Amazon very cheap...Muker to Keld is a nice walk or visit the Cheese factory in Hawes.A car ride through nearby Buttertubs to Thwaite is excellent as well

If you've not been then Malham Cove is great, there is an afternoon walk to the Cove, up to the Tarn, then to Gordale Scar. About 6 miles iirc, spectacular views. Also good is Brimham Rocks, a strange collection of rocks that look like a giant's sandpit. Kids love it and so do I for climbing. Settle is a nice market town and not up itself about it, it's just a working town. The 3 Peaks is a tough day out for the fit.

Other than that consult the tourist office, they know what people want when they visit the place. Have fun. It won't be the first and last trip.

How about a short drive over Kidstones, park in Buckden and explore upper Wharfedale and Langstrothdale? Hubberholme church is well worth a look.

advertisement

Back