advertisement

yoof of today and vinyl

peter bj

pfm Member
I was in Hmv spending a xmas voucher , hardly anyone looking at cds but the youngsters were alll over the vinyl . I heard them chatting and none of rhem had a " vinyl player " as they called it , one said their dad would get them a player some time in the future . One said he had a crossley cruiser to ruin his new vinyl . I saw them again at the till and the spend was £60 - £80 each and they seemed to choose by album cover rather than artist .
It really makes no sense but is increasing the sale of vinyl !
I bought cds by the way as I thought the vinyl was mostly a rip off at £20 +

Nothing wrong with discovering real music......
The physical thing and the artwork has always been a big part of the experience.

Hmm! I remember LPs being around 37/6 in the late fifties/early sixties and I thought that expensive then, having started work in '58/59 on little more that £4 a week in London. Half of that went to digs !

Wonder what that figure equates to today........

Hmm! I remember LPs being around 37/6 in the late fifties/early sixties and I thought that expensive then, having started work in '58/59 on little more that £4 a week in London. Half of that went to digs !

37/6?
You were lucky!
I used to have to pay 4 groats for mine, and then we had to play them with a rusty nail! And you try telling the kids today.....

That's about £40 in todays money.

I was too young then, but in my student days I could just about afford one or two so the price couldn't have been too bad by then.

1pyu14.jpg

Joe

I think it is brilliant that youngsters are still spending money on music, the way they see it is they get the download code and for a few quid more they get a physical copy with nice artwork and they get to feel a bit hip, which is what it is to be young.

According to the OP they were buying a vinyl album they had no way of playing so how is that spending money on music?

According to the OP they were buying a vinyl album they had no way of playing so how is that spending money on music?

Because every new LP has a download code for a digital copy, a digital lp averages 15 quid or so. So spend 20 quid on a vinyl LP with a free download and for 5 pounds you get a free bit of art for your wall and some teenage kudos.

advertisement

Back