1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Yo Yo Ma - where to start?

Discussion in 'music' started by starbuck, Aug 31, 2012.

1. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Having only heard the 'Inspired by Bach' CD plus whatever I've heard on the odd movie soundtrack, I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers towards other albums to start with? There's obviously the enormous 90 CD box set available but it seems quite a big leap for someone who hasn't heard much, so suggestions for a few would be appreciated.

2. TOFFEEMAN1878

TOFFEEMAN1878 Chosen Not Manufactured

[​IMG] Elgar Cello Concerto

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I heard him play the Dvorak with the Boston Symphony - he must have recorded that. Also the Silk Road stuff he's been involved with is lovely.

4. soileduk

soileduk pfm Member

5. soileduk

soileduk pfm Member

6. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Thanks for those suggestions, and that link with reviews.

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i would suggest avoiding his bach. the man has very little sense of the spirit of the works and there are much better performances from others.

i strongly suspect that if he didn't have such a goofy-cute name we would hardly ever hear of him.

vuk.