advertisement

Yeti - one for Tony

Simon Dawson

Angry, Ill & Ugly
Picked up a copy of Yeti yesterday (Liberty UK original pressing -as far as I can tell) £25. Pretty good nick with only a mark on track 1 spoiling otherwise excellent vinyl condition. Very good it is too - not sure about it being the best ever rock record but it is definately up there - need to give it a few more listens.
However, I'm a bit puzzled by side one. It's 6 tracks of country rock and the timings etc bear no relation to the track listing. run out groove is stamped USP 101 A-1U side 2 is stamped LSP 101 B-1G and 3&4 are LSP 102 A/B-1G. Have I got a pressing mistake?

Simon

However, I'm a bit puzzled by side one. It's 6 tracks of country rock and the timings etc bear no relation to the track listing.

One thing that you unquestionably can’t describe side 1 of Yeti as being is 6 tracks of country rock! There is no doubt that you have a mis-press, though I’ve never heard of this one. Side 1 of Yeti is two tracks, a huge one for the astounding Soap Shop Rock medley and a much shorter one for She Came Through The Chimney. The matrix no on my copy is LSP 101 A1G.

Liberty / UA USP 101 appears to be Brinsley Schwarz ‘Original golden greats’! As to what you do with it… it’s a gamble, but it may well make more on eBay than you paid for it, it might be worth sticking it up (with a reserve) for 7 days - if it doesn’t better what you paid take it back to the shop (you need side 1!).

Tony.

Tony

Thanks - I'll hold onto it until I find a copy with the correct side 1 and then probably sell this one on. It's a shame as the vinyl on this one really is good.

Simon

Thanks - I'll hold onto it until I find a copy with the correct side 1 and then probably sell this one on. It's a shame as the vinyl on this one really is good.

That is the best policy for sure - I don't think Yeti ever got repressed in any other UK format, so it is easy to 'cut and shut' a good copy - you just need a nice record 1. I do this quite a bit, my copy of Electric Warrior by T. Rex is made out of no less than three, one to get mint vinyl, one to get a near mint cover and inner, one to get the poster! By the time I'd sold the others on I was actually in profit!

Tony.

I concur with Tony regarding side one with 2 tracks, however if the first track of side one on mine (LSP 101 A1G) does indicate that it is a medley of 4 songs-
a. BURNING SISTER
b. HALLUZINATION GUILLOTINE
c. GALUP A SONATA
d. FLESH COLOURED ANTI-AIRCRAFT ALARM

I think the confusion is the listing of the SOAP SHOP ROCK track plus the 4 songs medley and the 2nd track which makes it look like there is 6 tracks in the side.

In any case, it has been raved and indeed it is an excellent record.

Mat - it is definitely Brinsley Schwartz on side one. I thought I recognised "country girl" when I played it but couldn't place it.
Tony - how did you identify it so quickly? I tried googling the USP matrix number and found Yeti references but no Schwartz ones.

Simon

Tony - how did you identify it so quickly?

Whilst I'd love to give the impression that I know every matrix number in the world, the truth is that I Googled Liberty+USP-101! It was actually released on UA, not Liberty (still the same company), but the search criterea still got it.

Tony.

Shucks! Tony, that admission's really blown your well-honed aura of omniscience - will PFM ever be the same again ??

I reckon way back when, Tony was so in love with Amon Duul that he bought every copy he could of Yeti.

Now, years later, he is slowly working to make it the most sought after album in the universe (on vinyl only, natch). This is the whole reason PFM was formed.

Once he has achieved this, he will slowly drip feed his copious stock onto eBay, and retire as a millionare.

I reckon way back when, Tony was so in love with Amon Duul that he bought every copy he could of Yeti.

It didn’t work like that at all with Düül II! I totally missed them until a couple of years ago. I got into Kraftwerk in the 70s, Can in the early 80s (when you could still find originals for a few quid!), but the rest has been a quest over the past decade or so. I’ve been working through Julian Cope’s top 50 list of Krautrock attempting to get them all, and picked up some dodgy CDs of a couple of Düül II albums, Yeti being one of them. It just didn’t hit me at all on this format – I just didn’t get it.

A couple of years ago I needed a LP12 for a friend and stuck a wanted ad on hififorsale.com, I got chatting to the seller about records and he had some Düül II (Yeti, Carnival in Babylon and Live in London). I cut a deal where I took the rather dodgy Linn (I ended up cutting and shutting two to make one really good one) and the Düül II for a good price.

The difference between the original vinyl of Yeti and the almost certainly pirated CD I had was night and day – within seconds of the stylus hitting the groove it was obvious this album is a total masterpiece.

I'd love to find a new old stock copy of Yeti, mine is pretty good, certainly the best I've seen, but I'd kill for a totally mint one.

Tony.

There's a copy of Yeti which claims to be Liberty EX++, currently at £28 with nearly seven days to go!
I think I'll go for a cheap CD copy first to see if I like it. I've never heard Duul and I'm curious.

There's a copy of Yeti which claims to be Liberty EX++, currently at £28 with nearly seven days to go!

It is very rare indeed to see one with such a clean cover, it is a matt finish textured affair and is very prone to ring wear. I suspect that copy will make 60-70 quid.

I think I'll go for a cheap CD copy first to see if I like it.

Please report back, not only on whether you like it, but on the quality of the CD you find. There have been many over the years - if you do a web search you will find several different ones to buy, I suspect they are variable in quality and I don't know which are good / bad etc. I'd love to know a good one so I could confidently recommend it... Yeti on vinyl kind of leaps out of the speakers and attacks you in a very physical way - the only CD of it I have heard sounded subdued in comparison, and therefore some of the magic was lost.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

you must have this one, its one of my fave albums, just got it on CD as well as vinyl, never thought I'd ever see this on CD.

FH

you must have this one, its one of my fave albums, just got it on CD as well as vinyl, never thought I'd ever see this on CD.

Yes, it’s a great album, I've got the original UA vinyl. What label is your CD on? Is it any good sound wise? If it’s a good ‘un then that label’s copy of Yeti may be the one to recommend for people who want to stick their toe in the water with something cheaper than original vinyl.

Tony.

I actually bought Duul II's Yeti at the time of it's original release. It got a rave review in Melody Maker. I found it a bit of a disappointment. A bunch of Europeann heads trying awfully hard to sound as if theyn came from San Francisco. Sorry, Tony.

I found it a bit of a disappointment. A bunch of Europeann heads trying awfully hard to sound as if theyn came from San Francisco.

I have to admit I can’t see any similarity at all! Have you re-evaluated it since? I came to Krautrock with ‘post-punk’ ears as I was too young to be there at the time – the real Krautrock Classics such as Yeti sound totally unlike any other musical form to me. Free improvisation with zero blues influence seemed a uniquely German thing in the 70s. The US free stuff is ultimately less free, almost always retaining a conventional structure both tonally and in song form and has it’s blues heritage stamped through to the core.

Tony.

Hi, Tony,

To me, Yeti is does not fit comfortably in the Kraut rock canon at all. It's spiritual home is in the Dead's "Live/Dead " era psyhchedelia. I just happen to think the Dead did that kind of thing better. Check out "Dark Star" from the Live/Dead album, or Spare Chaynge from the Airplane's After Bathing At Baxter's album & see what I mean.

And yes, a couple of years ago I had a mate make me a tape of Yeti. Don't get me wrong it stands up considerably better than a lot of it's contemporaries which were praised to the heavens back in the late '60's, and which now sound merely contrived.

To me, Yeti is does not fit comfortably in the Kraut rock canon at all. It's spiritual home is in the Dead's "Live/Dead " era psyhchedelia. I just happen to think the Dead did that kind of thing better.

I still can’t see the comparison – The Dead were great, and the live version of Dark Star is off Live/Dead is them captured on absolutely top form, but it is still a west cost acid blues work out (and there’s nowt wrong with that). IMHO Yeti has nothing even remotely in common with it.

It is best to consider Yeti as two completely separate albums, record 1 is composed and arranged, record two is free improvisation.

The composed record is IMHO as perfect an aural assault ever to be captured in the history of recorded music – I can not think of another record that keeps building layer upon layer with anything like the intensity (ok, Mingus’s Black Saint, but that’s it). It is hugely powerful, incredibly complex yet remarkably and almost disturbingly ‘un-rock’. Listen to the structures and chord progressions, it is only the first few bars of Soap Shop Rock that have anything really to do with rock music at all. After those simple guitar chords it just builds and builds and builds until it is barely possible that it can build any more. Then it builds some more, and then some! By the time you get to the later part of side two where all the ring-modulated screeching comes in it’s fully cooked, there is nowhere left on this planet to take things. In many ways it is the world’s only successful prog-rock album; it has all the complexity and musicianship that genre admired so much, yet it is truly and uniquely organic and totally lacks the horrible stiltedness, gross willy showing and grotesquely clichéd pseudo-classical structure that blights all but a tiny minority of that genre. Düül II play as one ego-less and truly organic whole, there is no spotlight, everything is equally mindblowing – they play like a great jazz band. Yeti is quite simply too good to be a prog album. I still don't really know what it is.

Record 2 of Yeti is comprised from three freeform improvisations, two possibly taking Floyds Interstellar Overdrive as a basic launching point, though only as that. This is as Krautrock as music gets, pure, totally free, totally improvised, totally not-rock. This is Syd’s Floyd playing free jazz. The last track, Sandoz in the Rain, sits almost uncomfortably on the album achingly beautiful though it may be. It is far more the hippy-Kraut-folk that one would expect from Düül I and sounds very reminiscent of much of the excellent Paradieswarts Düül.

Much as I like The Dead, Yeti is a very different thing!

Tony.

advertisement

Back