advertisement

Yet Another Scam

It's about my accident -
"Oh, it wus 'orrible. Decapitated at the ankles I was..."
(silence)
"Have you ****ed off yet?"...click.

Telling me that they were from BT and wanted to sort out my internet problem, I said that I was Father Christmas and could they hold on a bit as I needed to feed the reindeer. Strangely, they cut me off!

Robot BT phoned twice today to tell me they were turning my internet off cos I’m a crook.

Never had any BT product!

I have the cure for this phone fraud , Unplug the phone and throw it away

Sorted , did this years ago and no further problems , anyone who knows me has my mobile number and any of my billing companys send requests by email

I have the cure for this phone fraud , Unplug the phone and throw it away

Sorted , did this years ago and no further problems , anyone who knows me has my mobile number and any of my billing companys send requests by email
Many scams are on mobile texts or emails

I get similar amounts mobile vs landline. What’s worse with the mobile is that people call me asking why I called them...I haven’t...my number is being used by scam callers. The scam calls you receive from mobiles - this is what they are doing, not just my number though!

They are not using my phone or bill/account. The network provider can’t stop it as they aren’t using their network either.

All incoming calls to our landline are blocked unless the caller identifies him or herself. There may be scam calls or texts on the mobile, but I rarely switch it on. When I do, all the texts seem to be from O2 offering me 1,000 free minutes of something or other.

I often used to get the internet ones "Theres something wrong with your computer" "I'm from Microsoft" type. In the end I would string them along for as long as I could, 10-15 mins is easily possible. Stops them hassling someone else....

I often used to get the internet ones "Theres something wrong with your computer" "I'm from Microsoft" type. In the end I would string them along for as long as I could, 10-15 mins is easily possible. Stops them hassling someone else....

Yes had that one too, strung them along for a while, then when things did not work for them told them I was using Linux. Strange, phone went dead!

Last edited:
Yes had that one too, strung them along for a while, then when things did not work for them told them I was using Linux. Strange, phone went dead!

Rory Cellan Jones BBC tech correspondant did that once revealing at the end of the call that he was using a Mac. Chap at the other end of the phone was less than happy.

This was my favourite one::

I don't answer calls at home from numbers I don't know, but at work today, I answered a colleagues phone, as he was out of the office, and it went something like this:

Me: Hello, Ian's phone.
Him: Hello sir, I am calling from BT, and I have to tell you that your internet connection has been compromised.
Me: Oh dear, that is a shame.
Him: I need you to urgently do something on your computer.
Me: ok.
Him: Are you at your computer?
Me: Yes.
Him: Can you see the control key on your keyboard?
Me: Which one is the control key?
Him: It has CTRL written on it.
Me: Yes, I see it.
Him: What key is next to it?
Me: Fn.
Him: Next to FN is a key with 4 little squares on it, that is the Windows key. Do you see it?
Him I need you to press... (where he gave me a key combination that I can't remember).
Me: Sorry, I can't do that.
Him: Why?
Me: I only have one finger.
Him: (he then repeated the original keystroke request).
Me: (shouting a bit) I told you I only have one finger. I can only press one key at a time.
Him: No problem sir. Please go to Google screen and type 'what is my IP'.
Me : OK.
Him: What can you see?
Me: A message.
Him: What is the message?
Me: It says 'you are being scammed by an Indian call centre. It is very bad to scam people with only one finger'.
Him: You say you only have one finger, sir?
Him: Can you do one thing for me? Take your finger and stick it up your a**e.
Me: Thankyou and goodbye.

These people can be so rude!

is this a scam?

Screenshot-20210206-155733-Chrome.jpg

Three for me in the last two days - to mobile at 07.35 - A warrant has been signed for your arrest due to a tax fraud case. Press one to pay now by credit card.. a London based number, but traced back to New Zealand?
A email apparently from my brother (who works for me) - how fast can we make a same day payment today? I was going to play along for a while but could not be bothered (not his email address)
Then the inevitable Amazon - we are trying to contact you as we need to take prime payment....

It's never ending.

advertisement

Back