advertisement

Yet Another Scam

We've got a BT phone system with call screening. Anyone who phones and is not in our directory has to hold whilst we're asked if we want to take the call. Since installing this, we've had zero scam calls. They presumably just give up without troubling us.

What is the purpose of the car accident ones? Unless they fluke you on having actually had one I don't see the point? I would stop to ask but I just tell them to f''k tight off before hanging up.

Or 'ActionFraud'.

Action Fraud (I think) only show an interest if you've actually been defrauded. I get their point but they show zero interest in attempted fraud/scams. So the slightly more savvy are wasting their time trying to protect the vulnerable who would actually lose money to these scrotes. Having seen the ICO mentioned here I've reported three times to them, they won't accept reports about computer scams and direct you to "Action Fraud". See above!

Looked to renew my driving license, half a dozen websites turn up first on google that look all kosher but charge you for the privilege of renewing your licence.

What is the purpose of the car accident ones? Unless they fluke you on having actually had one I don't see the point? I would stop to ask but I just tell them to f''k tight off before hanging up.
I ask them to tell me which car cos I’ve had several accidents lately, sometimes they pass me up the chain, don’t mind string them and the Microsoft clowns on for a while if we’re quiet, if they are talking to me they are not scamming someone else.

I hardly get ANY non family calls, and certainly not from scammers. Why am I so unworthy of their fraudulent attention? Is there a complaints procedure for this as I'm feeling quite ostracised ?

I hardly get ANY non family calls, and certainly not from scammers. Why am I so unworthy of their fraudulent attention? Is there a complaints procedure for this as I'm feeling quite ostracised ?
Post your landline number on here I’m sure you’ll get a few opportunities to sort your Compromised Broadband, Infected PC and Car Crash Compensation out by tomorrow night.

We've got a BT phone system with call screening. Anyone who phones and is not in our directory has to hold whilst we're asked if we want to take the call. Since installing this, we've had zero scam calls. They presumably just give up without troubling us.

Same here. In >5 years we have only ever had one sales caller who bothered go through the call screening procedure. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hello
Caller: Hello this is Mark from Energy Consulting Services (or who/whatever)
Me: Congratulations! You are the only sales person who has ever bothered to go through our call screening system.
Caller: Oh great. Does that mean you are interested in our services?
Me: No. Goodbye.

Last edited:
Same with EHIC/GHIC.

No experience of GHIC yet obvs but back in the day when the uplands were truly sunny my wife, my daughter and I all had to use our EHIC. It was easy, yes we paid upfront but got the money back quickly and the medical attention we received was brilliant. I hope the GHIC proves to be as good.

I usually tell the accident ones that yes I have had an accident and it cannot have been my fault because I was drunk at the time. And, if they don't hang up then, add that the child should not have been playing in the road anyway. Never got as far as asking if I can sue the parents.

I have had 2 new variations today: my National Insurance Number is compromised & my mobile is going to be disconnected. Both via a mobile number.

Don’t really get a lot of scam calls well I do but if I don’t know the number I don’t answer, genuine punters usually leave a voicemail or text or email me as directed on my voicemail but I must get at least 20 scam emails a day mainly telling me they’re sending me millions of quid. All of them go into the junk folder but I check that out every day in case a genuine email slips through.

advertisement

Back