advertisement

Yet another LS3/5a thread..

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Yes, I know what you’re all thinking.
Not another one !

Well, I just wanted to share a little story.

Many here will know I’ve owned a fair few ( ! ) LS3/5as over the years.
Alphabetically, Audiomasters to Stirlings, and more than 1 or 2 in between.

Recently I acquired a pair of old BBC Radio Leicester Rogers 15 ohm models,
which required some work.

A matching T27 was fitted and a replacement XLR connector.
I fitted new cabinet sealing tape to ensure an air-tight seal.

I wondered what they would sound like, being old 15 models.

Well, over 3/4 weeks of on and off listening sessions I am pleasantly surprised.
They do sound remarkably good.
OK, the Stirling V3s are superior, but the Rogers aren’t that far behind...

That’s a debate that will continue, along with whether Graham Audio’s models are LS3/5as.

To my ears, the V3s do everything an LS3/5a should along with enhanced clarity, bass,
imaging and soundstaging.

Which is what some say the Falcon Gold Badge also does over the Silver Badge model.

It appears nothing is what it seems...

I've seen threads on this subject that go round the moon and then disappear up their own a**e ! Throw the words 'or derivative' in the mix and we all save a lot of time :).

And there's alway room for another LS3/5a thread in my world !
Still enjoying your Q7?

Absolutely chap, but they're not proper LS3/5a ;). Couldn't resist.

They've not moved since I got them in Jan.

Still loving my newly purchased ex radio Cleveland Spendor 11ohm LS3/5As. In fact there so good there may be a classified ad coming soon for some Stirling V3s.

Yes the Stirlings have more clarity but more bass? Not in my case.

To [partially] answer the point posed above, yes there are [slight] differnces between the different variants but they are far more similar than they are different.

If you want a different flavour of LS3/5A type speakers there are lots of options including the above mentioned Q7s & P3s.

TS

And Martin, where on earth do you find these things ? Radio Leicester !!

No, I found them on Gumtree.
The owner didn’t really know what he had.
They had no rear connectors, the speaker cables soldered directly to the crossovers !
One dead T27 and a missing XLR connecter.
The cabinets and grilles were OK.
So was the price...

Tony.

I found the V3s had subjectivity more bass, at least that was my impression when
first hearing them on my system.
Hi Martyn
I think I've mentioned before, I think I am being helped out greatly in the bass department by my room. Certainly when I first moved into this flat a few months ago I started hearing bass notes with the V2s I had at the time that I wasn't hearing in my previous flat.
TS

I've got the best yet out of my beautiful teak early 90s Spendor LS3/5as. I had them sitting directly on the sideboard with small plastic feet in each corner. This gave a super solid sound but with a certain analytical staidness & narrow imaging, very much between the speakers. This morning I placed each on identical books about 15mm high, leaving the feet in place. Wow! Much improved dynamics & a wider, deeper soundstage. If there's a difference in tonality, I like them as they are now.

I'm running them with a Yamaha AX-450 amplifier & things sound really really nice, music being quite addictive this morning.

I've lied a little. The books aren't exactly identical, but they are from the same series and probably the same year, possibly even the year of the first moon landings. Both first edition hardbacks. One concerns travel photography; the other, light & film. But I feel any two volumes of the Life Library of Photography would work well. They're all about imaging, after all. :p:D

advertisement

Back