advertisement

Yet again Naim have a new Director

92b277feb5210fe182630140271991cbd5a1f38f.jpeg

I hear Henry Ford is no longer around?

SNIP

Indeed boards and company strategies must change with time, it’s a matter of survival. However, while Henry I is no longer around, the Ford clan still have a significant interest in the company. So, perhaps, not the best example.

Upthread someone alluded to the pernicious effects of private equity and I’d agree. JBL’s R & D was gutted when private equity took over Harman.

It's interesting how Naim seems to inspire extreme likes/dislikes, on a scale unlike any other hi-fi manufacturer I can think of. I have no skin in this game, never having owned, heard or touched any Naim kit, and I'm sure it's just fine. I do however remember when Naim, along with Linn, were being peddled by certain reviewers and critics as the only kit worth having. Sub-consciously, I think this may have put me off both brands for life.

I don’t think it’s surprising. Some of us still think of the Naim of the 70s when they were quite small, niche and dare I say it cool. In partnership with Linn they were what many of us of a certain generation lusted after but could only afford later in life. I think statements from JV and IT like "If you can't hear the difference, it's not worth talking to you" may have alienated many people, creating diverging opinions that have spread and lasted to this day in some form or another. Pricing is another thing that annoys people. I think some people are just prone to pushing their extreme likes or dislikes upon others. It’s not just hifi, my father in-law insists that the muffins he gets from the local market are the best ever and keeps offering to get me some in. It’s really annoying. I of course am above all this:cool: (we need a halo emoji)

advertisement

Back