advertisement

Yes

Well its all we've got guys...and chances like this don't come around too often. I could have seen King Crimson last year but didn't take the plunge. I like KC very much but I have a more emotional attachment to Yes.
Gerard124...do they have an intermission ? Or is it a straight 2 hours plus ?

Yes, there was an intermission at the Bridgewater hall - never seen so many grey old men taking a pee . . .

Liverpool was really great....and Gateshead is on Dime.....y'know what I mean!

Just booked a pair of seats, Liverpool Phil, Friday 23/3/18. Can't wait. Side 1 and 4 of Tales...

Last saw them in 1974 at the Empire, playing sides 1,2,3 and 4 of Tales.

I was there too. And two nights in Manchester at the Free Trade Hall.

Wasn't it 1973? November?

I love TO, but I want to hear Anderson sing it.

Guardian review here.

Stephen

I saw them on Wednesday at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. Front row centre seat... cost me a few quid but was worth it (included a meet and greet) and they totally smashed it too!

Mind you, I was shocked by how much Alan Whites deteriorating health is really ageing him. I fear his playing days in the band are sadly numbered, he can only manage part of the set as it is now.

Not sure what Billy Sherwood is playing at either, is it just me or is he trying to emulate Chris Squire these days, both in looks and playing style?!

Blimey! Only saw them once, at the QPR football ground in the ‘seventies. Sort of lost interest in them around Tormato, but still play early albums from time to time.
Have a great time.

Mick

EDIT: 1975, it would appear. Only 43 years ago...
That's a coincidence, I found the programme for that concert only the other day during a clearout!

That's a coincidence, I found the programme for that concert only the other day during a clearout!

Another coincidence... I only saw that concert for the first time after sourcing a genuine old Laser-disc copy the other day. That concert was a hard sell, especially with the opening track... very left-field with a keyboard player that didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the bands playing style.

...very left-field with a keyboard player that didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the bands playing style.
That would be Patrick Moraz, who went on to join the Moody Blues and then sue them publicly on US TV. It was Yes' jazz fusion period. Relayer is a very intense experience to listen to. The concert at QPR 1975 was video taped. I knew there was a laser disc. I have a video cd (remember those) of it. The sound mixing on it is APPALLING! Pity as it is a good record of the band at that time. The best recording of Yes with Moraz is the Roosevelt Stadium FM broadcast which is available in many places on the net....wink wink!

I listened to Topographic Oceans for the first time in 20 years last night on Tidal (I sold my vinyl copy). The first 5 minutes was quite good ...

That would be Patrick Moraz, who went on to join the Moody Blues and then sue them publicly on US TV. It was Yes' jazz fusion period. Relayer is a very intense experience to listen to. The concert at QPR 1975 was video taped. I knew there was a laser disc. I have a video cd (remember those) of it. The sound mixing on it is APPALLING! Pity as it is a good record of the band at that time. The best recording of Yes with Moraz is the Roosevelt Stadium FM broadcast which is available in many places on the net....wink wink!

I always thought it a real shame that Yes didn't make another album with Moraz. He was awsome on Relayer.

Never heard "Mainhorse" I have Refugee on vinyl, great album, and I have "I" too.

Mind you, I was shocked by how much Alan Whites deteriorating health is really ageing him. I fear his playing days in the band are sadly numbered, he can only manage part of the set as it is now.

He is nearly 70 I think, and at that age (I'm 63, so I know wherof I speak), thrashing your way through 2 hours of drumming with Yes is a major undertaking!!

I am a big fan of Yes, but like other bands I am fans of, there comes a time when you have to call it a day.

'A Day' in this case, is getting off the cruise ship to do a live show on land.

Been a fan for as long as I can remember, first saw them at Boston, Lincs. 1971/2, but without Anderson they are not the same.

Me too but I still rate Drama as up there with their best. Certainly as good/better than anything they have come up with since - in whatever guise.

I've seen them many times since and still rate them as my all time favourites (probably.) But I really gave up on them after Drama.

I think the last tour I saw was the Magnification tour and the album had some fairly good moments. But, I found it too difficult to watch my longtime musical heroes really struggle to play with the same skill and speed as they used to.

advertisement

Back