advertisement

Yes - Keys To Ascension

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I have both these cds and have been listening recently, mainly to see how they render "The Revealing Science of God" with the original group having reformed for a concert in 1996. The recording quality is very good with each member's part distinguishable, though it is bass light and Jon is mixed down. Howe and Wakeman are quite prominent in the mix which is good. In fact Wakeman's parts are excellent. It brings a lump to the throat when they sing "What Happened to this song we once knew so well" considering the pasting Wakeman gave Tales originally.

The Revealing Science of God is the first piece by Yes that I ever heard, back in the 'seventies, on Nicky Horne's radio show on Capital! I don 't tend to play much of Yes nowadays but Tales... gets dusted off from time to time.

I like the studio recordings on both albums. I'd go as far to say, they are the best collection of tracks released by any of the major prog bands after 1980.

I don’t really understand the hate TFTO gets. Yes were a prog band, TFTO was the most ‘prog’ thing they ever did, and side one (Revealing Science Of God) possibly the best song they ever did. It is also a far better produced and better sounding record than anything else in their core catalogue IMHO (everything afterwards sounds like it was mixed on way too much cocaine). I think it is probably their high-watermark, though to be honest it is ages since I’ve played anything aside from side one!

Funny that Tony, it was my Tales LP that saved me from getting out of vinyl into cds. I was selling it, on ebay I think, and a buyer asked me if it was a "quiet" pressing. So I played it and my it was quiet and so lush sounding I withdrew the sale and never looked back. I have a couple of original pressings and the SW remix on 180g, plus a few cd versions. You should listen to the Rhino cd version as it has the full 2 minute intro to track 1 that was edited out on the vinyl version.

As a rabid Yes fan, I bought Tales when it was first released and was very disappointed; in fact after a few listens I didn't bother with it again for a few years. But then I happened to pull it out one rainy day & gave it another try. I've since learned to really love it (maybe side 3 is my least favourite bit).

I certainly had TFTO at school, but it would have been after it was released. I think my Yes phase was 14-15 or so, just prior to new-wave and bizarrely concurrent with punk. That would I guess have been around the time of Going For The One, but I certainly had a few albums before that came out, probably most of them, but I can’t remember what order I bought them. I didn’t have an issue with TFTO, though always have done with say the church organ in CTTE. That just rules that track out for me despite it being most people’s favourite.

PS FWIW my picks today would be The Yes Album, the longer tracks from Fragile, TFTO and Relayer. That doesn’t correspond that well with what I’ve currently got on vinyl (1st, TFTO, Relayer, GFTO, Tormato). I’ve got decent sounding early CDs for the gaps.

Always liked Tales and listen to the early vinyl copy I bought every year or so. I saw them with Gryphon supporting in Preston in 1975. Patrick had taken over Keys and Alan White drums. Although this was the Relayer tour they played a great selection and ended with a fabulous version of Ritual which has been a favourite ever since.
I was delighted many years later to chance upon them playing the Glastonbury World Stage with Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Squier and White playing mostly from Fragile.

First saw Yes at the Manchester Hardrock in 72, just after White replaced Bruford. Seats were behind a pillar so we stood at the back where the bass hit us hard. I think Fragile came first, then Yes Album, Close to the Edge on release followed by Yessongs for my LP collection. Made a wooden guitar to mime along to Yessongs with two mates. Then came tales where I saw them at Liverpool Empire on the balcony. Then again at the Empire for Relayer with Pat Moraz and Gryphon in support. Then a long long gap until ABWH at Birmingham. Happy Days.
I revisit Tales again and again and never tire of it. I am 66.

advertisement

Back