advertisement

Yeah sausages!

^^ Let us all sincerely hope so.
If things don't go well, it could easily be chaos for several days, in a best case, and several days for fresh produce………………
If we do crash out it WILL be chaos in at least the very short term.

Worst case, far worse than chaos, for far longer than several days.

We crash out, the EU looses one of 26 open markets and it is essentially status quo for trade agreements, we loose 25 of 26 open markets with no trade deals, at all, in place - simples :)

Edwards sausages, available in Tesco's are really good. I don't like them too thick.

I don't eat pork, so that cuts a huge amount of processed meats from my potential diet.

I do like a good beef or lamb sausage though and my rule of thumb is that if it's not red, it's not meat.
It's amazing how many beef sausages, even from a butcher, look like they're filled with mashed up skin. Probably not far from the truth too.

Also, having made my own sausages in the past, I know what a good chicken sausage is like, and no store bought one has even come close.

The strangest one was value sausages, so little meat in there plus I bet what was called meat wasn't anything you'd call meat if you saw it pre processing.

All the nutritional details looked very healthy.
The meat used in reputable sausages is ok. The manufacturers don't throw in old pork pies, unlike backstreet butchers 40 years ago it seems. Meat is defined as "carcass equivalent" , meaning that if a pig with its guts and other inedible bits removed is say 70% clean pink meat, 20% fat and 10% skin, then this is "meat". If you have some cheap crappy bits of trim that are say 50% white flab and 50% pink meat then this is not all "meat" . Legal min on uk sausage is around 45-50% iirc.
Wrt the other question, I regard processed meat as cured. If it's just chopped I don't care.

The meat used in reputable sausages is ok. The manufacturers don't throw in old pork pies, unlike backstreet butchers 40 years ago it seems. Meat is defined as "carcass equivalent" , meaning that if a pig with its guts and other inedible bits removed is say 70% clean pink meat, 20% fat and 10% skin, then this is "meat". If you have some cheap crappy bits of trim that are say 50% white flab and 50% pink meat then this is not all "meat" . Legal min on uk sausage is around 45-50% iirc.
Wrt the other question, I regard processed meat as cured. If it's just chopped I don't care.

Thanks. That's good Information. Sounds like you know your stuff.

Is there any truth in what we hear abou sausages and preserved meats from Germany being better quality meat and with less additives?

depends on your butcher. If you buy supermarket bangers then yes, germany has higher standards, but a good local butcher has the best...by some margin.

Thanks. That's good Information. Sounds like you know your stuff.

Is there any truth in what we hear abou sausages and preserved meats from Germany being better quality meat and with less additives?
Thanks. Food manufacturing is my thing, so I do my best with informed comment here. Better quality meat? Depends what you mean. I doubt it, from reputable manufacturers. I'm not aware of any different regs. Likewise additives. Everything in there is on the label, assuming that no laws are being broken. In 30 years of food manufacturing I have only known a few incidents at first hand where bent manufacturers deliberately went out of their way to break the law. Notably one guy routinely sold underweights to a supermarket, another passed off haddock for cod, a third once had some meat go off, he washed it until it no longer stank and processed it. That's about it for deliberate lawbreaking other than obviously things like Dobbingate that went public and affected the whole industry. Obviously I go to some lengths to avoid places where it could happen on my watch, it's my reputation as well as theirs.

depends on your butcher. If you buy supermarket bangers then yes, germany has higher standards, but a good local butcher has the best...by some margin.
Not in my experience. Local butchers can be very good or very poor or anything in between. Most are average. As to better standards, ask yourself who questions a local butcher if he decides to cut a few corners or lose a bit of hooky meat in "this week's special" . God help a production manager or MD who tried to sneak that one past me, I'd eviscerate him and then ensure that there was a trail of emails informing him of his obligations under the law and that should he be so foolish as to ignore my advice then he was acting upon his own authority alone.

What local butchers are good at is making tasty products that might be less finely chopped and of a better texture than the mass produced gear.

The nearer you are to the source the better. We had friends who lived in Appleby and the butcher there did amazing bacon from his own pigs. It smelt of pig if you know what I mean!

The nearer you are to the source the better. We had friends who lived in Appleby and the butcher there did amazing bacon from his own pigs. It smelt of pig if you know what I mean!

Thanks for that, probably may never eat a sausage, or possibly meat again

Bloss

That legal min sounds about right. I remember the old Value sausages were about 40+% for an unbelievable target price of £1 per kilo.

I think the closest to that now is Woodside Farm or similar at 50+% and close to £1-60 per kilo.

Still fantastically cheap food and similar to one of my daughter's favourite Richmond sausages.

The nearer you are to the source the better.

Which reminds me of when I went to the fish counter in Tesco some years ago and encountered Vietnamese Cobbler, couldn’t help but ask was it fresh . Anyway sorry back to sausages.

I only buy fresh fresh off the quayside.

I certainly won’t buy it from a supermarket anymore.

advertisement

Back