advertisement

YBA Design DAC WD202 and general dac advice?

effinity

pfm Member
Hi,

Anyone know the YBA Design DAC WD202?

It's probably a 10yr design now but seems to have many good features and connections. There's a NOS one on eBay for around £500 plus shipping.

As a dac newbie I'm wondering if this is good value or if there's better for similar money or less?

Cheers, Steve

I'm going to have to moan first. Sorry.
Karik, Numerik, Kairn, Klout (Aktiv), Katan(active), Sizmik

As usual with Linn, Karik-Numerik-Kairn power supplies 'blew' (Y's etc) and I've only managed to get the Karik up and running again.

Linn obviously weren't interested, in fact the list of 'unrepairable' kit now runs into stuff dealers still set for £4k and above.

After moans, information and searches, many 'dealers' here and abroad are of the same opinion - NEVER BUY LINN.

It was a big mistake (not for sound, just my future system survival).

Anyway, harking back to my old system - Nuance preamp (FAMCO - now YBA), I bought a YBA Audio Refinement PRE 5 and a Micromega MyDac as standing - sad moments not happy. And, to put it bluntly, no much better than the Karik into the power amp with pots. Hmm.

Anyway, did my research and I've bought a WD 202 (second hand) which arrived today.

Linn dealers were right - technology has moved on.

Gobsmacked is an understatement.

Unbelievable imaging, 3D placement of instruments, gone is the sort of flat but wide sound stage. It's wider, deeper and I'm hearing stuff I have NEVER heard before. Period!

And, being a JFET opamp based device it is, as YBA (and reviews) say, it's valve...

It's delivering the musical joy of what Linn were known for and piled it on in more and more lumps.

I use Kenny G Breathless as my test disc. It really shows up flaws in systems and imaging. It is a sax, what more could do that.

Am I going to take LInn's advice and spend another 15 to 20 k on a new DAC and preamp. Not a bloody chance.

So, I will keep my front end until it dies and then look for a transport.

Intriguingly it will take music from my MAC computers via old hat Apple Airplay through Airport Express and will take apple streams via USB (It's built in). Doesn't make the Squeezebox redundant it just adds to the choices and, it's got a HP out.

Did I say if you order upgrading JFET opamps (not expensive) they just plug in - TI (Burr Brown) OPA2132 or OPA2134. Winner.

Deep joy, I have broken the Linn cult's hold over me.

And yes, it's better than the Numerik

I heard some very nice sounds when Monsieur Y B André (the man behind YBA) was demonstrating his YBA system in Munich back in 2018 or 2019. Much, much nicer than his 1990s amps I heard at Présecne Ribe Gauche (Paris).

As for long life-expectancy... I'd go for Moon (aka Simaudio), Chord or dCS

advertisement

Back