Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Yawning and deafness

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bjork67, May 16, 2022.

1. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

What causes you to lose hearing when yawning? Have always wondered and its against the law of the land to investigate the internet abiut it.

2. mansr

mansr Objectionist

The tensor tympani muscle contracts, reducing the amount of sound transmitted from the eardrum to the inner ear.

Copperjacket and hifinutt like this.
  3. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Thanks x x x love ya x

4. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

I usually find I hear better after a yawn.

5. mansr

mansr Objectionist

After, perhaps, but not during. Yawning opens the Eustachian tubes, allowing the pressure in the middle ear to equalise. This can improve hearing if there was a pressure imbalance previously.

Copperjacket likes this.
  6. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

It can also elicit a slap round the ear from SWMBO if the yawn is misconstrued!

7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Pardon?

8. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Yup, try not to do it during Sewing Bee

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

That's difficult...

10. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I prefer snoring during Sewing Bee:D

Tarzan likes this.
  11. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Sewing Zee?

Darren L likes this.
  12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I simply leave the room during Sewing Bee (and Strictly, and Eurovision ...)

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

WTF is Sewing Bee?

Nero likes this.
  14. Joe Hutch

It’s a programme on the BBC where people compete to make and alter clothes using needle and thread. It’s even more boring than it sounds.

ToTo Man likes this.
  15. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

That would make a great advert:

"Tune in to The Great British Sewing Bee, it's even more boring than it sounds!"

Bob McC likes this.
  16. Joe Hutch

Coming shortly to BBC 1: Paint Dry! Twenty celebrities of whom you’ve never heard paint a wall. A panel of experts stare at the painted walls and decide who should go into the next round, and who should be eliminated.

Bob McC likes this.
  17. mansr

mansr Objectionist

I didn't realise they were making a spin-off series based on the film: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/paint-drying-film-qxnzzxq6vlgtody3mtay

18. Joe Hutch

The film’s OK, but lacks the vital combination of celebrities and competition. Ideally the new series will include ‘back stories’, in which the contestants tell us in mind-numbing detail the story of their ‘journey’ to wall-painting, possibly with tears when they get to the bit about how wall-painting led to being bullied at school, and how the programme has helped them tackle their demons.

MUTTY1 likes this.
  19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Sewing Bee is great, a favourite show in this house. Certainly way better than Star Trek.

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Monkey Tennis