advertisement

(Yawn) Another Avondale 260z completed....

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Well, I've finally completed the Avondale 260z power amp build, after a small setback of my own doing, and can say for sure that there is now a Chrome Bumper 250 about to go on the market.

I added an XLR input socket to the amp, as well as phonos. This way, I was able to drop the same cable on to the 260z as was supplying the 250.

Comparing the 260z from cold with the 250 (well warmed up, and recently recapped with Avondale supplied Kendial caps) is interesting. My immediate impression was "less bass", but that's not true - the amp has a tighter grip on the bass. Vocals are more intelligible, and none of the (uh-oh, here we go) PRaT is missing.

Many thanks to Les for his patience with me - you'll be glad to hear you've heard the last from me for a while, at least.

EDIT - I should point out that the "Yawn" in the title was a reference to the steady proliferation of 260zs, not any reference to the sound - which is already filling out nicely....

More pics and background here

Yes, well done Richard and please trim the transformer bolt down to size, there's a good chap......;)

Les - bolt trimmed. ;) It was way short of the top cover, BTW.

After 24 hours of being powered up, the amp is really starting to improve - now it's just more of everything - deeper bass, more controlled treble, the music is tightly integrated - musicians play along with each other, drummers REALLY keep the groove going.

Have fellow 260z users found a continuing improvement?

I've also altered the value of the resistor to drop the power switch brightness a bit - too bright in the evenings. Now 2k2 rather than 1k6.

In retrospect, I would suggest anyone wanting to build one certainly buys an off the shelf case - mine was a lot of hassle to build - having said that, I have had 3 half width and a full width case for £75 (plus paint costs). It does take an awful long time though, and the finish will never be as good (or resiliant) as a properly adonised case, even if you do need to do some drilling to fit components.

I'm going to try and make some notes on things that tripped me up/needed clarification from Les - hopefully this way others won't need to hassle him so much (though Les has been nothing but extremely helpful to me - I'm sure he'd rather be getting on with "proper" work though!!)

looks like a well put together case, even if it was a pain.

How would you describe the sound, flat or round, ish?
I have been thinking about makeing one for a while, i love a big deep soundstage:eek:

Well, I'm not sure I can answer that one, penance.

I use Shahinian Arcs, and they give a wonderful natural open soundstage (for want of a better word), but you certainly don't get the pinpoint placement of the hi-hat 18" to the right of the snare, if that's what you mean. They do fill the room though, and from virtually any seating position. They do this with a stock 250 as well, so hard to say.

I also think the 260z needs more time to run in, as when I recapped the 250, it took some time to really get into its stride. Only fair to give the 260z the same chance!

advertisement

Back