advertisement

Yat kha: Tuvan throat singers do Joy Division, Iron Butterfly, Motorhead, Beefheart

Kit Taylor

B0009K33MI.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-1099,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...1207/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-3696037-0768659

Very much liking the twangy, rumbling acoustic versions of Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles, Inna Gadda Davida, Orgasmatron and Love Will Tear Us Apart.

The latter is rather lovely, given the extreme vocal weirdness, two voices and an acoustic guitar exposing one of the best pop melodies ever.

Tuvan throat singing is a weird kind circular breathing thing, that produces very deep notes indeed and strange overlaying harmonics. THink Howling Wolf tuned down an octave.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hmm - I've heard Mongolian throat singing before in all its wierdness - this anything like? Sort of mini-didgeridoo but rather more scary? Must be incredible stuff to listen to while sitting round a fire, quietly freezing to death :D. However, the Mongolians were doing their own thang rather than having a go at Motohead!

a wee mate of mine played me some throat singing ONCE ......FOR A FEW MINUTES............and my mind fair boggles at the thought of throat-sung Moterhead covers.

bb :eek:

Paul Pena, who I've mentioned several times in the context of his excellent early-70s album New Train, is a western master of Tuvan vocal style. It's apparently quite amenable to singing the blues.

I'm holding out for 'Tuva Goes Disco!'

After seeing them (Huun-Huur-Tu) at Womad my mate was singing the DK's too drunk to ****, in a throat chanter style, this was most drole................it would be nice to hear the professionals do it :)

S

snowflake said:
After seeing them (Huun-Huur-Tu) at Womad my mate was singing the DK's too drunk to ****, in a throat chanter style, this was most drole................it would be nice to hear the professionals do it :)

S

When Biafra is in full warble, I don't think he's that far off. My missus thinks he sounds like Larry the Lamb. Heathen.

advertisement

Back