advertisement

Yamaha YP800 TT

Certainly looks the part. I really like 70s Yamaha styling; crisp, clean and minimal.

Dave, did you like it when you reviewed it?

Tony.

I really love the styling and finish of Yamaha equipment of this era. It is so simple, clean and crisp and a great contrast to most equipment of that time, A breath of fresh air. This TT with an A1000 (was that the model ?) Class-A amplifier and a pair of Yamaha speakers made a great system, something to please the senses.

Having said that, the turntable stood up well against most of that time but not as good IMO as my benchmark original Rega which was a hard act to beat. At £100 though, you can't go wrong. If I hadn't taken my eye off the auction, it would have been mine.:mad:

Yes, it was the styling that attracted me. To be honest, I fully expected it to go for silly money so I was surprised to win it. It will be interesting to compare it with a Technics NOS 1200 mk1 I picked up last year but haven't gotten around to playing with yet.

I really love the styling and finish of Yamaha equipment of this era. It is so simple, clean and crisp and a great contrast to most equipment of that time, A breath of fresh air. This TT with an A1000 (was that the model ?) Class-A amplifier and a pair of Yamaha speakers made a great system, something to please the senses.
Just a FYI: CA1000. CA were the amps, CT the tuners, CR the receivers (tuner-amps). I always assumed the C was for "component".

I had a CT820 for a while. Nice tuner, although birdie-prone, but why so large? It seemed that, regardless of the contents, it had to be the same size as the (oversized) matching amp in the range.

But anyway, Yamaha styling was the best of the Japanese stuff, wasn't it?

Having said that, the turntable stood up well against most of that time but not as good IMO as my benchmark original Rega which was a hard act to beat. At £100 though, you can't go wrong. If I hadn't taken my eye off the auction, it would have been mine.:mad:
Was that the first Rega Planar 3?

The TT arrived today. One problem already, it is mssing one of its feet. I am awaiting a response from the seller. They seem to have a screw thread similar in size to spikes on a rack, any suggestions for repaclements? I had thought about focul pods or something similar but the feet are on the corners with a deep cutout.

hi Rodrat,
Nice looking and buy.
Did it come with the manual by any chance ?

I have the same tonearm but can't find any spec for it? It's rumoured to be made by Micro Seiki for Yamaha. Are you able to find out its spindle to pivot distance and effective length for me as a favour?

Thanks,
Jasper

This was a great turntable at the time, but this was before turntable sound quality was taken seriously. It wasn't especially cheap to buy, looked fab by comparison with the Technics equivalents, but the arm was a massy beast with the original headshell and back then these sort of decks were at odds with the demand to have low mass and high-compliance cartridges.

I'd love to hear one today with the more rugged pickups now available. On a decent support, it should make for very fine musical reproduction..

The arm looks as if it loosely conforms to Rega geometry, as this was a sort of standard in Japanese turntables at this level I think.

Looking at the pics, those goose-bumps are starting all over again. Get rid of the bland and dull Stanton cartridge though, and fit a DL110, OM Red or AT120E at least..

advertisement

Back