advertisement

XTC tonearm counterweight (for WT Amadeus GTA)

Hook

Blackbeard's former bo'sun.
Bought one of these:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=112625710203

TBH, I wasn't expecting much, but it was affordable so I took a punt. Was a little fiddly to dial-in VTF, but I think the effort was worth it. Am surprised to say this, but I can now hear a clear improvement in sound quality.

Could not detect any tonearm mistracking before, so can anyone please explain why this counterweight might be an improvement over WT's standard, round counterweight? Just trying to understand if the theory of moving the weight down to the cart's level is plausible, or if perhaps it is all in my head.

Thought it made sense to ask here before posting a positive review on eBay.

Thanks!

Hook

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I put one of those on my FXR because I thought it looked nicer than the stock one. Don't know if it made any difference to the sound though!

Bringing the weight closer to the pivot they say improves quality, generally. In addition lowering the CoG is felt to be beneficial. It will improve stability, in the way that a bike with panniers slung down the sides of the wheels handles better than one with the same weight higher up.

Thanks guys. Started doing some research last night, and there does seem to be a school of thought that lower CoG benefits unipivot tonearms, but perhaps not gimbal designs.

I like the biking analogy. The others that come to mind are 1) a tightrope walker, holding a balancing pole as low as possible, and 2) a figure skater holding out her arms to slow down a spin.

It would seem that a little bit of rotational wiggle is inevitable for a unipivot, but with an underslung counterweight, I've read that moment of inertia is increased, and recovery time to true vertical is improved. In any case, my ears tell me that it sounds better and, at about $100, it seems like excellent VFM.

[FAFARE] On a more important note, I just noticed that this is my 1000th post! [\FANFARE]

Not that I am trying a make big deal of it or anything, but please help yourselves to a slice of cake.

Congratulations on your 1000th post. Being a WT user I am intrigued by this thread but I think one aspect of the arm geometry that may have been overlooked is the role that the golf ball/gloop play in the equation. I wonder if reducing or increasing the level of silicone in the cup wold have a similar effect to a different counterweight?

Thanks Snufkin. I don’t like what I hear when I submerse the golf ball in the silicone beyond a minimal amount - just enough to offer the slightest bit of resistance when cueing. To my ears, more silicone contact results in a much duller sound. Not hearing anything like that with this underslung counterweight. No dulling down at all.

advertisement

Back