advertisement

XMAS is coming...gimme your fav Brussel Sprout recipe

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
we love a sprout, our favourites are sprouts in butter with garlic and chilli, and a boxing fav of sprout Spanish omelette

anyone tried the pickled sprouts from F&M?

what is your fav sprout recipe?

we love a sprout, our favourites are sprouts in butter with garlic and chilli, and a boxing fav of sprout Spanish omelette

anyone tried the pickled sprouts from F&M?

what is your fav sprout recipe?

Pretty much your first one, with a bit of chorizo chopped in. ‘Nduja would probably work too.

They are very tasty as such, no need to cheat with garlic or spices IMO. My GF’s family grows some, we get the sprouts very fresh and we cook them in stock, and for not too long. That’s it. Butter is not needed because they usually accompany meat, and sometimes a proper sauce. Too much is too much.
In younger years I used to add roasted almonds finely chopped, it’s good but there’s no need really.

I have done the faffy Jamie Oliver one where all the sprouts are pulled apart into leaves and fried up with bacon. Delicious and miles different from boiled sprouts.

Our family still talk of the sprout incident at Xmas lunch several years ago....long story short, the Mrs had to leave the table at the start of the meal to attend to a small child situation. When she returned my Brother in law had loaded up about 12 sprouts on her plates. They were grey, having been boiled for an hour - and of course she could not put them back.

We roast ours with balsamic and a couple of other bits, couldn't taste more different than the soggy, boiled mess that pass for sprouts on most dinners.

Steamed and then tossed in fresh garlic, thyme and a small amount of butter & olive oil. Salt flakes and black pepper... Lovely jubbly :cool:

Or; just steamed and served as is; full of flavour

The sprouts I've grown haven't fared well at all; planted 20 and only 6 left :mad: The early hot weather isn't good for them setting and then the cooler damp weather doesn't do them any good for growing, more rotted than anything else

Still; we got a lot of 'sprout tops' and still have them growing now; if you can, get them from a local veg provider; they're absolutely gorgeous and a great alternative to boring cabbage :)

Oh, and yes, we’ve tried pickled Brussels sprouts, but auntie Caroline’s Bangin Brussels. They were bought for us as a joke, but they’re pretty tasty.

I like them boiled, but I usually eat loads of them raw when preparing them.

Sprouts Mexicane

Recipe Ingredients
  • 30-40 Brussells Sprouts
  • 1 handfull Fresh green chilli peppers
  • 3 scotch bonnet peppers
  • 100grams Curry powder
  • 3 bottles Extra hot Encona Chilli sauce
  • 2 tubs Ground white pepper
  • 1 cup Vodka
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 Powder-base Fire Extinguisher
Recipe Instructions
Marinade all ingredients (except extinguisher) together in an acid-proof bowl for 48 hours, ensure that the whole peppers are all chopped finely and the bowl is covered with an air-tight, non-corrodable lid. Cook on 180(pre-heated) for 20-25 mins(18-22 for a fan-assisted oven) serve on galvanised steel plates, write your will and consume. Use the extinguisher to put out the ensuing flaming arse-blasts. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back