advertisement

XJ 6 straight six 4 Litre sport Q

MVV

pfm Member
Hello fellow fish, I know there are a few petrol heads here so would welcome your advice. I've got a 98 one of these, bit rotten under the paint and needs an MOT and a head lining. C 88000 on the clock. It's been under cover for 4 years and refuses to start. Do I scrap it or do it up? C 3-4k budget.

Hello fellow fish, I know there are a few petrol heads here so would welcome your advice. I've got a 98 one of these, bit rotten under the paint and needs an MOT and a head lining. C 88000 on the clock. It's been under cover for 4 years and refuses to start. Do I scrap it or do it up? C 3-4k budget.

If it has been static for 4 years the chances are that the suspension will also need looking at and it will be expensive.

If you pay a garage to do it up, your budget will be soon swallowed up. XJ6s are the ultimate cash soaker.

If you like it, spend the money and you will have a gorgeous car.

I ran Jags for 22 years and whilst they cost a fortune to run, it was a memorable experience.
Only you can make the decision as to whether it is worth it.

If you do proceed with the restoration, you would be well advised to join the JEC.

I love Jaguars, but I feel you'd be better passing this one on. Even if you get it back to reasonable condition it will only be worth around £5-6K and getting it there may well cost you that. If it's been stood you're going to have to overhaul the brakes and suspension as well as getting the engine flushed and refilled with fluids etc. Then you may find things likes the seals have hardened, CV joints are dry etc. and more work is needed. Then there's the likely rot that will be far worse than you realise in a 1988 Jaguar. The interior is bound to need a deep clean and some renovation as the leather will have hardened and some of the electrics will almost definitely have packed up. If you're set on one, move this on and buy one that is already there is my advice. These cars are not simple, this means they cost a lot to fix... sadly!

Very helpful thank you both, lovely interior and it went very well and had an MOT until about 3 years ago. It was the missis's runabout before she went into care.
(...and to be honest that is part of the problem)

A money pit.

Weigh it in and buy an X350 XJ6 that's been looked after and is running for £2.5k and keep the rest for mechanical repairs.

Very helpful thank you both, lovely interior and it went very well and had an MOT until about 3 years ago. It was the missis's runabout before she went into care.
Well then if you can afford to take care of it well, it keep it. Sometimes you have to follow the heart rather than the wallet (maybe always?)

Money V memories, thats not an easy one, I'd prefer to remember the person, not what they had.

Sorry mucka, I dont envy your plight

My dad gave up Jaguars in 1957. Before I was even born.

I like to get old barn finds up and running. As in watching others doing it:

In my youth I tinkered with old cars and learnt one very important lesson: DON'T!

If you like them and you have the time and space, spend the money on a nicer one, keep the old one for spares and get your hands dirty.

I'd love to have a go at something like this and have both the money and a full workshop with lift, but with a young family and full time job, I simply do not have the time.

It’ll come down to how handy you are with restoring a car, I should think. Are you any good at welding and fabricating? Can you strip, inspect and rebuild an engine?
If you can’t do all that, all that money will go in the first week.

Are all spares available?

I assume this is an X300. A friend has one with the same headlining problem.

The engine starting problem is probably flooding, this happens very quickly if the engine fails to start quickly, you need to pull a fuse to disable the fuel pump and scavenge the engine.

Much rust is a killer and often affects the front subframe which is cheapish but very time consuming to replace.

As others have said, sadly not really worth it.

advertisement

Back