advertisement

Xbox S - 4k Monitor

andyoz

pfm Member
My lad has a Xbox S and is looking for a new monitor. I currently run it on a 24" Dell 2415 monitor that's only HD and no special refresh rate.

What's the current sweet spot/volume seller for the next level up in monitors...I have checked out 27" 4k 144hz monitors and they are big money. What is the middle ground like... QHD I think it is?
How important is the refresh rate?

Jesus it all gets confusing fast LOL

I'm not up on current gen consoles, how powerful is an Xbox S, surely not enough to drive anything over 60hz at 4k I'd have thought?

I would have thought xboxs was designed with TV in mind and therefore 30hz would you not get a tv instead of a monitor, or a pc instead of an xboxs, Game Pass is amazing.

Last edited:
I'm not up on current gen consoles, how powerful is an Xbox S, surely not enough to drive anything over 60hz at 4k I'd have thought?
May 2018 update gave S and X 120Hz support. Recommendation is 1ms, SYNC tech, 4K, HDR and 144Hz. It upscales vid content to 3840 x 2160 pixels.

Is it an Xbox One S or an Xbox Series S? There’s a significant difference.

You don’t need a monitor, you need a TV.

Is it an Xbox One S or an Xbox Series S? There’s a significant difference.

You don’t need a monitor, you need a TV.
Expensive, cheap sets don’t support SYNC tech or VRR or ALLM cos they have slow response times. LG BX/CX or C1 level before you get all the toys.

To me that just highlights that you don't need all the toys for console gaming.

Consoles aren't a spec race or particularly demanding beyond the standard fare of their time. They're mass market devices designed for use with normal TVs - bells and whistles can be nice extras, but they're not needed for a 12 year old with an S model.

For example neither One S nor Series S is going to display pretty much anything above 60Hz, and neither typically targets 4k most of the time. So 120Hz support is a waste of time with either model. And there's no point insisting on 4K support - it'd be fine, but there's no need to insist on it for either S model.

I still don't have a C1 level TV, but in using an Xbox for about 20 hours a week (or more) since the 360 days I've never had an issue with the TVs I've had. The sole exception has been that HDR has looked a bit off at times - a comparatively recent thing in tech terms which happens despite my (Samsung NU8000) TV having HDR support.

For example neither One S nor Series S is going to display pretty much anything above 60Hz, and neither typically targets 4k most of the time. So 120Hz support is a waste of time with either model. And there's no point insisting on 4K support - it'd be fine, but there's no need to insist on it for either S model.

I believe the Xbox S does do the fancy pantsy stuff. 'One of the exciting new features of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is the ability to run games at 120 FPS'

I believe the Xbox S does do the fancy pantsy stuff. 'One of the exciting new features of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is the ability to run games at 120 FPS'

It has the chipset to do the posh stuff, but in most cases doesn’t target the highest performance - that’s what the Series X is for. The S is about a full fat experience, but with trimmed down resolution and frame rates compared to its bigger brother.

60 fps is definitely worth having. But look it up and see how many games run at 120 fps on the S.

Hence my advice - if you just want to get a 120fps @ 4k capable panel, then go ahead. Just be aware that it’s not needed.

This LG ultra gear is used by a lot of gamers:

Deal of the day: LG UltraGear 27GN88A 27 Inch Gaming Monitor QHD (2560 x 1440) - Nano IPS 1ms GtG 144Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Black [Amazon Exclusive] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088M1VPSG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Thanks, that one's showing in Stock. I think the mount might work for his desk too

Not sure how it compares to the one in this link mentioned above bit that has stick issues anyway
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094L4Q7RH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back