advertisement

X100T - has it fixed all the issues with the X100S?

Eggsackly. :)

I just love using the X100 - it's such a nice thing to hold, is very well built and just takes great photographs. Fuji hit a bulls-eye with the choice of focal length for their fixed lens too and I've rarely - if ever - found it wanting in the quality of its optics. It's also the camera which got me away from using a large DSLR.

If you get bored with it..http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-specifications-confirmed/ ;)

New pancake 24 mm too

Me too. It's an absolute classic. I never get bored of using.

Eggsackly. :)

I just love using the X100 - it's such a nice thing to hold, is very well built and just takes great photographs. Fuji hit a bulls-eye with the choice of focal length for their fixed lens too and I've rarely - if ever - found it wanting in the quality of its optics. It's also the camera which got me away from using a large DSLR.

Great too (shallow I'll admit) when I've been out and about for folk to come up and show an interest in the camera.

I think the sensor is excellent. The one on the X100 wasn't so good. The lens is a bit soft wide open, but that's not a big issue in most cases.

I'm with the X100 fan club here and totally disagree with Cliff - I have an XE1 and an X100 and have borrowed a x100s while seeing if I'd get anything from an upgrade.

The x100 sensor may not be scientifically sharper but it has a much better rendering - it takes better pictures but isn't so good for pixel peeping.

The XE1 has the same sensor and, while the images are marginally sharper, the pictures are, to be a little poetic, less soulful and lack the atmosphere that I get with the 100.

I still think the x100 is a keeper - I enjoy taking photos and like the photos I take better than with any other camera ... I think I need a Leica to upgrade and that's not going to happen for quite some time.

Photography seems to be as much about temptation as art these days - I'm getting increasingly bored of reading that "x" camera trashes the previous model and then seeing examples to demonstrate this that don't seem any better than the pics used to big up the previous model when it was released.

Gear-whore Huff's site is a case in point - look at his shots for the x100 review then the x100S and I'm sure the 100T will be the same. The upgrade hasn't led to him taking better shots. Same with the EM5 and EM1

For me the challenge is to pick your camera, stick with it for 5 years or so and really get to know it inside out. The 100 is a little quirky but every time I do a lengthy shoot with it I learn a bit more.

I'm with the X100 fan club here and totally disagree with Cliff - I have an XE1 and an X100 and have borrowed a x100s while seeing if I'd get anything from an upgrade.

The x100 sensor may not be scientifically sharper but it has a much better rendering - it takes better pictures but isn't so good for pixel peeping.

The XE1 has the same sensor and, while the images are marginally sharper, the pictures are, to be a little poetic, less soulful and lack the atmosphere that I get with the 100.

I still think the x100 is a keeper - I enjoy taking photos and like the photos I take better than with any other camera ... I think I need a Leica to upgrade and that's not going to happen for quite some time.

Photography seems to be as much about temptation as art these days - I'm getting increasingly bored of reading that "x" camera trashes the previous model and then seeing examples to demonstrate this that don't seem any better than the pics used to big up the previous model when it was released.

Gear-whore Huff's site is a case in point - look at his shots for the x100 review then the x100S and I'm sure the 100T will be the same. The upgrade hasn't led to him taking better shots. Same with the EM5 and EM1

For me the challenge is to pick your camera, stick with it for 5 years or so and really get to know it inside out. The 100 is a little quirky but every time I do a lengthy shoot with it I learn a bit more.

I'm not sure which bit you're totally disagreeing with. I had the X100 from the day they were first released in the UK until about a year ago. I enjoyed shooting with it, but was frustrated by a number of things:

i) the lens is soft wide open
ii) 12 megapixels isn't enough if you want to crop the shots later and print them large
iii) the parallax correction in OVF mode isn't accurate, so you have to shoot further away than you think and crop later
iv) the manual focussing mode isn't usable except in EVF mode
v) the EVF doesn't have enough pixels to accurately focus
vi) AF isn't accurate in low light
vii) the sensor isn't great above ISO 3200

That said, I still got some nice shots, and I hope the X100T has fixed all the other problems - I suspect it has fixed everything except the lens being soft at F2

Here are a few examples from my extensive time with the X100 (following posts)

I'm not sure which bit you're totally disagreeing with. I had the X100 from the day they were first released in the UK until about a year ago. I enjoyed shooting with it, but was frustrated by a number of things:

i) the lens is soft wide open
ii) 12 megapixels isn't enough if you want to crop the shots later and print them large
iii) the parallax correction in OVF mode isn't accurate, so you have to shoot further away than you think and crop later
iv) the manual focussing mode isn't usable except in EVF mode
v) the EVF doesn't have enough pixels to accurately focus
vi) AF isn't accurate in low light
vii) the sensor isn't great above ISO 3200

That said, I still got some nice shots, and I hope the X100T has fixed all the other problems - I suspect it has fixed everything except the lens being soft at F2

Here are a few examples from my extensive time with the X100 (following posts)

I was disagreeing that the sensor in the newer cameras is better. It's bigger but IMO, not better and something in the quality of the images has been lost. Sure , you can do more with more cropping etc if that's your thing, but I
like the rendering and tones of the x100 and don't think what is gained makes up for what was lost - and your very fine shots illustrate just that.

I was disagreeing that the sensor in the newer cameras is better. It's bigger but IMO, not better and something in the quality of the images has been lost. Sure , you can do more with more cropping etc if that's your thing, but I
like the rendering and tones of the x100 and don't think what is gained makes up for what was lost - and your very fine shots illustrate just that.

well the new sensor is the same as the one on the X-Pro1, and I had no problems with the sensor when using that camera over a 2 year period. The only issue that I've seen reported is that some people shooting RAW haven't liked the results from some of the RAW converters. I guess the early ones weren't optimised for the RBG semi random filter array - obviously the location of the red, green and blue filters needs to be understood by the RAW converter so that it can demosaic the image. Personally I had no problems getting smooth skin tones or dramatic black and white shots with that sensor

St Pauls and Bridge
by cliffpatte, on Flickr

Katie
by cliffpatte, on Flickr

well the new sensor is the same as the one on the X-Pro1, and I had no problems with the sensor when using that camera over a 2 year period. The only issue that I've seen reported is that some people shooting RAW haven't liked the results from some of the RAW converters. I guess the early ones weren't optimised for the RBG semi random filter array - obviously the location of the red, green and blue filters needs to be understood by the RAW converter so that it can demosaic the image. Personally I had no problems getting smooth skin tones or dramatic black and white shots with that sensor

Which is also the sensor in the EX1 which I use. Like you, I get some good shots with this but I prefer the ones I get with the x100 - when I take both out I get a higher % of keepers with the fixed lens. I also find it quicker to focus than the XE1 after the various firmware upgrades. I hope they'll make the Chrome available actress the range.

It's interesting the flaws you mention above - I've not really noticed any of them in my day to day use. Do you think they would make a great shot less great or, to turn it round, do you think a great shot is likely to be better on the updated camera.

I'm of the view that an upgrade would improve my modest shots and possibly improve them a bit technically but only better eyes would get me more great shots!

It's interesting the flaws you mention above - I've not really noticed any of them in my day to day use. Do you think they would make a great shot less great or, to turn it round, do you think a great shot is likely to be better on the updated camera.

Anything about a camera that stops you getting the shot is a bad thing, so I hate the following:

Softness wide open
missed focus in low light
inaccurate framing through parallax errors

Cameras like the Nikon D3S with a lens like the 35mm AFS F1.4 will get you the shot more often than the X100, but the X100 is more discrete so better for getting close to a human subject. I'd just want less of the bad bits and more of the good bits from the X100.

I 'acquired' an X100s last year. First time i've had chance to play around with it. Forgotten what a ball ache it can be learning a new camera. I've put the latest firmware on it but find it's still a bit slow on focusing. I guess the more you use it the better it becomes but it seems a bit slow compared to the iPhone 6 in use.

This quick test image was shot in RAW then edited in Light Room 4 as my version of Adobe RAW (6.7) won't open the files, then into CS5 for some cleaning up. Still it's given me a chance to get my head around LR as i've had it but not really given it a go.

Plenty to learn all round anyway!

Rack,

Congrats, man. The naysayers will of course say nay, but the cool kids know you got yourself one spiffy camera.

Joe

It reminds me a bit of my first camera. Just a little bit posher. Though the Ricoh 500 ME (RF pictured)was great for the £45 it cost back in 84!

IMG_2641.jpg

Has anyone had a play with an X100T yet, or maybe even got one? I'm thinking of going for one, and would be grateful of your thoughts.

advertisement

Back