Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF is happening to the UK?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by foxwelljsly, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Darmok

Darmok "cur tali Incustodito dedistis amori"

I think you should read this, an account by a rail worker, because it gives a clearer picture of the details of what is going on.....

'Three years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise, two years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise. But this year they came to us with a 0% pay rise plus over 2500 redundancies, changes to terms and conditions. An increase from 28 weeks of nights to 39 weeks of nights. An increase from 32 weekends worked to 39 weekends worked. Currently for a night shift we get time and a quarter, for a weekend turn we get time and a half. They wish to cut both of these to time and a tenth. So that’s a 15% pay cut on every night shift and a 40% pay cut on every weekend turn. But they want us to work more of them. This is their modernisation they talk about. Not technology, we embrace technology and have seen more and more of it in recent years. They also wish to fire and re-hire the operative grades and bring them back under a new job title but on £9000 a year less. They also want them to use their own vehicles to get to work sites, this when fuel is at its highest. They will also be pooled when currently they are part of the team. The press are painting this to be about pay above all else. It is not. But now we’ve said sod them we are going to demand better. I wish everyone could see past the government controlled media smear.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...tion-britain-latest-updates#comment-157140591

SO. there we have it.

rbrown, tonerei, Mongeddavid and 21 others like this.
  2. CTank

CTank pfm Member

Class war undoubtedly. The only hope is, that as more people begin to feel the pressure, we’ll realise we greatly outnumber them.

I despise the Tories more every year. The problem is, there’s been a lot of years now. And this much hatred can’t be doing me any good.

Snufkin, kendo and Mystic Mac like this.
  3. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

This is something that has generally worried me. How much stress I am feeling while these cretins are in charge. You can’t blame me for bailing out and looking after my own.

4. Darmok

Darmok "cur tali Incustodito dedistis amori"

The condition you have. shared with many others is, Misophonia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Whenever I see depiffle appear on tv, I hit the mute button on my remote.

matt j likes this.
  5. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

That is exactly how I felt when Trump was president here. We'd change the channel whenever he came on. After all we know that 95% of what comes out of his mouth is a lie, so there is nothing to be gained by listening to him.

6. Martin J

Martin J pfm Member

I get that with Carly Simon and Annie Lennox. Both of whom I used to like.

7. wulbert

wulbert pfm Member

It's a completely sane, reasonable and rational response. Why raise your blood pressure and be ruminating on Boris sound bites throughout the rest of your day? I do it too. I don't watch "the news" and can't bear to sit through the drivel, bile and toxicity of broadcast politics shows.

Problem is, that is part of their strategy. Have us disengage, so they can carry on looting the country and dismantling our protections undisturbed.

Snufkin and Darmok like this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Indeed. If labour is a commodity, in the hands of those who labour, then 'the market' and 'the law of supply and demand' should work for them, too. So when demand is high and supply low, or supply is limited for any reason, then cost should go up, because 'the market'. Why this only applies to the wealthy, and not the proletariat has never been explained to me.

PsB, Spraggons Den, Snufkin and 2 others like this.
  9. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

We weren't hurtling into a fascist dictatorship then. If BJ is allowed this will be a one party kleptocracy with no human rights, no right to protest and the ability to stick flammable cladding on those he doesn't like.

An interesting exposé that the LibDems haven't moved on from Clegg and Swinson. Bloody awful.

Mole Man, tonerei, Snufkin and 3 others like this.
  10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I don't follow musicians outside music but always thought Annie Lennox likely to have sound views from the tone of her lyrics.
    What exactly is wrong with her ?

11. Martin J

Martin J pfm Member

I honestly can’t explain. They just both make my teeth itch. It’s nothing to do with their non-musical activities or political views.

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^ Good unblemished. She did some great songs and made it sound so easy she was underrated IMO.

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Nothing but total respect for her.

glenda and Spraggons Den like this.
  14. synsei

synsei Grabthar's Hammer

I voted for Brexit yet I am a Labour Party supporter. However, It is becoming increasingly clear to me that I may have been absent when they were busy shoving the entire population of the UK through the POLITICAL OPINION POLARISATION PROCESSOR (POPP)

15. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

I watched this and was gobsmacked at the LibDem MP's attitude, she was neither Liberal or Democratic, if the gov can't break the strike with agency workers they should use soldiers instead? WTF?

16. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

17. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

That's the political equivalent of saying 'spiritual but not religious' on your online dating profile.

18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I know plenty of life long Labour supporters who were proper Lexiters. Solidarity with Greece! I blame Owen Jones.

19. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

^^^^^^I voted remain despite the Greek debacle and all sorts of self-interested damage the influential players inflict within the union whilst spouting we are all equal guff. My hate figure remains that arrogant toff Cameron who got us into this mess because he underestimated Farage and thought a quick referendum would bury him and put the ERG back in their box. Eton has a lot to answer for, and that’s just for the last two PM’s they have spawned.

PsB, TheDecameron and paulfromcamden like this.
  20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

So do I. Good intentions perhaps, but failed to recognize Brexit as a project of right wing nationalism and entertained fantastical notions of a Britain freed of the EU somehow creating a model for worker and environment protection stronger than that of the EU. It was a nice pipe-dream, but never grounded in reality.
    I know some that still will not admit it was a mistake too - I guess it hurts too much to admit?

PsB likes this.