advertisement

wtd - wide angle lens

gary

pfm Member
I am looking for a wide angle lens for a Canon EOS 308. It is my Mrs camera and she would like a w-a- lens for xmas.
I don't know anything about photography apart from an appreciation for good pictures. So what to look for and what to avoid knowledge would be most appreciated.

Hi Gary, it's a difficult one to answer as lens choice can be quite a personal thing. As a rule if you stick to 'known brands' there aren't too many duff lenses nowadays - Sigma, Tamron, Canon themselves - all make good lenses. So then it comes down to budget and whether or not she's looking for a zoom or prime (fixed focal length) lens. She'll most likely have some kind of standard lens which might be a zoom, so if she's looking for wider than that then you'll have an idea of the focal length to look for. I'd be inclined to maybe take her on a surprise shopping trip to a local photography store and let her guide the way with what she'd like? That way everyone wins...

Many thanks for your reply Jason. Unfortunately with the way things are it looks like a trip to the shops are a no go. So i will have to look online. Are all the fittings a general same size i.e.will a Sigma Tascom etc all fit the Canon ?
She has a zoom lens , and the lens that came with the camera. She is taking photos of products but can't always fit them in the shot, hence wanting the wide angle.

The Sigma 10-20mm lens is very decent lens, however that Canon 10-18 looks a bargain for an ultra-wide zoom.

Hi, I have a Canon fit Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG to move on (too many lenses!) if you could make use of this?

I have an Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 you can have for £180 plus a bit for delivery. Boxed and in great condition. These are over £500 new.

advertisement

Back