advertisement

wow, what is the name of the sub?

You'd be surprised how good they sound with a (good) sub. I added a C6 to my 50s, and it opened up the sound in the mid frequencies oddly.
I kept it when I went to 100s, and it has the same effect.

Note the old style amp packs, old waveguide on the mid, Seas tweeter and very dusty mid-domes. Estimate to get that lot up to current spec: around 4-5k. Probably still a nice buy at 3k. It’s not clear if they are SL drivers either

Note the old style amp packs, old waveguide on the mid, Seas tweeter and very dusty mid-domes. Estimate to get that lot up to current spec: around 4-5k. Probably still a nice buy at 3k. It’s not clear if they are SL drivers either

I had them as Vifa tweeter, thought the Seas had a rounded waveguard? Happy to be educated, they're close enough for me to collect :)

They were using Vifa just before making their own, but I believe they sourced Seas units on the pre-SL series, and the flange was not a standard one. I know what you mean though. Happy to be corrected

I still think they'd be a bargain for someone

Possibly a pro JBL type cinema sub?

Re old the 50s. These are mark 1 amps (you can see the thin amp handles) and potentially around the early 90s in terms of manufacture? So got to be at least 26-30 years old.

Basically if never serviced it will be needed now. Those mid domes, if anything like my experience, will be ‘tizzing’ (sounds like something metallic resonating badly) when you play music, say solo piano.

Granted solo piano might not be your thing but I am gently saying they could be like a classic saloon car ie you might need deep pockets and patience...factory turn around times are slow as they are generally always busy.

I waited 4 months for my new mid domes to come through which I only fitted this month. (Reconed ones from 2018, original 1996, failed. ATC policy is to replace for new, cut off around 2006 I think from memory).

And yes assuming you wanted to go full current spec got to be around £4K (assume amp rebuild, new tweeter, baffle, SL bass and mids) and the wait.

advertisement

Back