advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

I assume you're not buying anything Chinese made either then - the Chinese government isn't a model of transparency and public good.
I didn't say I was unwilling to contribute to the Chinese economy, nor did I suggest that my unwillingness was based on a lack of transparency or public good.

And I bet if you met a few different people now, from different areas of the same companies, you’d possibly hear different views.

Fewer

;)

Airbus designs are all relatively modern and designed to be computer controlled from the start. Older Boeings like the 737 are getting too old to keep modernising on and on

And I bet if you met a few different people now, from different areas of the same companies, you’d possibly hear different views.

Fewer

;)

In general American companies love outsourcing more than European ones do and like using contract staff as it gives more "flexibility" in practice what seems to happen is the buying department beat down on the the suppliers on price who push to the limit what they think is acceptable and none of the staff will say anything as they are frightened of losing their jobs, don't care or both. Obviously not all US companies are like that but a worrying number seem to be.

In general American companies love outsourcing more than European ones do and like using contract staff as it gives more "flexibility" in practice what seems to happen is the buying department beat down on the the suppliers on price who push to the limit what they think is acceptable and none of the staff will say anything as they are frightened of losing their jobs, don't care or both. Obviously not all US companies are like that but a worrying number seem to be.

At least some of this is due to the terrible health insurance system here. Full time employees cost their employers $10-20k PA in health premiums on top of salary. On the flip side workers are terrified of losing their jobs and company healthcare because the private health insurance market is even worse ($25k a year for a family).

The 737 is over 50 years old. It must be the oldest commercial plane that is still produced today.

The 737 is over 50 years old. It must be the oldest commercial plane that is still produced today.
It's the airliner equivalent of Trigger's broom. Barely recognisable from the original 737-100s and -200s. This is Boeing's problem.

Faced with competition from Airbus, they made the decision to update the 737 range rather than develop an all-new aircraft. This gave them some grandfather rights on certification which kept the costs down, keeping Airbus on their toes. It's now coming back to bite them, hard, because in order to remain competitive with Airbus' fundamentally more modern design, there have had to be fudges and fixes, to make the tech fit a 50-year old airframe design. There's only so much of that you can get away with, and I think Boeing have now found where the limits lie.

If Boeing had been based in Republican territory Trump would have slapped duties on Airbus already. May still.

....Faced with competition from Airbus, they made the decision to update the 737 range rather than develop an all-new aircraft.....
......in order to remain competitive with Airbus' fundamentally more modern design, there have had to be fudges and fixes, to make the tech fit a 50-year old airframe design......

Don't forget that the A320 design is itself more than 30 years old.
The advantage the Airbus design has, is that it was designed with a fly-by-wire control system from the beginning.
Not unlike Boeing with the 737-MAX, Airbus chose to develop the latest NEO version of the A320 family, rather than opt for an all-new, lighter weight, latest tech airframe.

The previous 3 generations of the B737 family (original series 100 & 200, second generation series 300, 400, 500 and the more recent NG series 600, 700, 800 & 900) have been and continue to be very successful and safe commercial airliners.

The A320 suffered from early crashes that threw Airbus' fly-by-wire control system in serious doubt.
Thankfully there was little loss of life involved.
Airbus got through that period and have gone on to incredible success with this design.
Note that for the entire A320 family, there have been 118 aviation accidents and incidents, including 35 accidents including a hull loss; resulting in a total of 1393 fatalities.

advertisement

Back