advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

What were they cooking? And did your clothes smell of it for weeks?
in those days I was a smoker, and you could still smoke on board.

The year before I was flying same airline Kuwait City to Bahrain. We took off into the worst storm ever. 4 attempts at landing with a go round on each attempt. 5th attempt we landed in Bahrain and blown off the runway on to the grass. Where the undercarriage bogged down in the mud.

We were shi**ing ourselves, so terrified we still had lit cigarettes on landing. All around the passengers were silent, and all you could hear was the click click click of worry beads throughout the cabin. We disembarked eventually. When me and my colleague asked the cabin crew for a good bar for beer, they recommended "Club No".....but that is another story.

I will though never forget the sound of all those worry beads....

in those days I was a smoker, and you could still smoke on board.

The year before I was flying same airline Kuwait City to Bahrain. We took off into the worst storm ever. 4 attempts at landing with a go round on each attempt. 5th attempt we landed in Bahrain and blown off the runway on to the grass. Where the undercarriage bogged down in the mud.

We were shi**ing ourselves, so terrified we still had lit cigarettes on landing. All around the passengers were silent, and all you could hear was the click click click of worry beads throughout the cabin. We disembarked eventually. When me and my colleague asked the cabin crew for a good bar for beer, they recommended "Club No".....but that is another story.

I will though never forget the sound of all those worry beads....
That’s a beauty. Nowadays it seems utterly bizarre that they’d allowed people to pull out gas lighters, spark matches and fall asleep hammered with a fag hanging off their lip at 33,000ft in a pressurised aluminium tube. I remember the joy of checking in to be told the only seats left were in smoking.

That’s a beauty. Nowadays it seems utterly bizarre that they’d allowed people to pull out gas lighters, spark matches and fall asleep hammered with a fag hanging off their lip at 33,000ft in a pressurised aluminium tube. I remember the joy of checking in to be told the only seats left were in smoking.

I remember the horror of checking into a 12 hour flight to be told the only seats left were non smoking....

Mull, I want a blow by blow account of the Mexican trip. I hope you can get to,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza

When you’ve returned, I’m going to tell you a dark story...

Dark story? Whoooooooo...ooo.oo.. Chichen Itza, or possibly another place.. is on the list, but since my travelling companions have already done all that stuff.. there won't be too much of it and I'll be doing it with whoever else signs up for the trip. I intend spending much time on a 'bar/beach/pool/bar' sort of rotation.... with the odd break for food... We will visit Cozumel and a couple of other places, but after a pretty shitty last couple of months and having no warm weather hols for years, I fully intend to indulge my heliophile tendencies.
I will be taking my nice new Lumix TZ200.. as I can't be arsed carrying an SLR. So no doubt much of my time will be spent trying to navigate the menus on that..

I remember the horror of checking into a 12 hour flight to be told the only seats left were non smoking....

I do recall the days when smoking was generally a delightful adjunct to gazing out of the window as we floated over the European continent and down towards the Med.

I stil remember desperate smokers.. especially at Dalaman in Turkey.. almost literally 'spitting feathers' as we queued our way through their 'Visa' control.. I too was desperate for a fag.. but remained far more British and Stiff Upper Lip until I could finally 'Light Up'.. Just typing this has me almost gasping for another cig after ten years.. but only almost.. God!! what mugs we were...

Today's aircraft are required to perform at a high rate of climb to reduce noise over large cities. No wonder planes are flying near stall speed when making steep turns to avoid populated areas. Regional noise reducing rules to please voters could be too restrictive for safety.

This high...??

Difficult for airlines to cancel Boeing orders. According to article in the Economist, Airbus have no delivery slots until 2025. However they may put pressure on Boeing to cut prices citing passenger concerns.

From the news:

“Garuda Indonesia is seeking to scrap its multi-billion dollar order for 49 Boeing 737 Max 8 jets after the plane was involved in two fatal crashes.”

It definitely isn't looking good for Boeing. They are going to be sued for a lot of money by families of the people who died in the two crashes. There is no chance I would ever get onto a 737 Max to fly in the future.

Jack

Ralph Nader's niece was one of the casualties.

What he knows about about taking on big companies will make life difficult for Boeing's legal team.

According to the BBC News the whole system of keeping the thing in the air depended on one single attitude sensor.

When that failed, it all went pear shaped. Manual operation should have taken over but the system refused.

It seems as if Boeing did not want pilots to become familiar with the planes odd balance foibles. Presuming pilots can still fly a plane these days without all the electronic aids.

Poor design and insufficient pre release testing.

This was a strange quote I read the other day..

Boeing has redesigned the software so that it will disable MCAS if it receives conflicting data from its sensors.
As part of the upgrade, Boeing will install an extra warning system on all 737 Max aircraft, which was previously an optional safety feature.
Neither of the two planets that were involved in the fatal crashes carried the alert systems, which are designed to warn pilots when sensors produce contradictory readings.

An ‘Optional safety feature’ I mean wtf! It’s an aeroplane, not a BMW 318

They don't give you parachutes either, nor portable oxygen masks, the only options you have are seat numbers and diet.

This was a strange quote I read the other day..

An ‘Optional safety feature’ I mean wtf! It’s an aeroplane, not a BMW 318
Yes, made me jump a bit reading that. Boeing has completely lost touch with reality to make such a crazy decision so they deserve all they get and more.

advertisement

Back