advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

Take a look at this documentary to get an idea of boeing company culture and why it might not be an isolated issue:

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/broken-dreams-boeing-787/

It was aired a few years ago on ChanneI 4 iirc. I think boeing has serious cultural problems that are now manifesting themselves in aircraft safety.
This doesn't look like a particularly reliable documentary given that how quality control works in the aerospace industry was not presented and this is likely to lead viewers to draw some possibly unreasonable conclusions in this area. This is a pity because I would like to believe what was presented about the politics, management, financing and outsourcing about which I have less knowledge. It seems to have the ring of truth and some of the bald facts are obviously true but is what was presented in these areas balanced?

Take a look at this documentary to get an idea of boeing company culture and why it might not be an isolated issue:

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/broken-dreams-boeing-787/

It was aired a few years ago on ChanneI 4 iirc. I think boeing has serious cultural problems that are now manifesting themselves in aircraft safety.

I saw that at the time, and I was very concerned at the time about the LiIon batteries on the 787, particularly since it flies many routes where there is no close divert in an emergency. However to date no 787s have crashed and their current issues are related to the Rolls Royce engines that some operators have fitted.

I'm not saying there's not a problem at Boeing but I'm not sure it's a company ending cultural problem.

I saw that at the time, and I was very concerned at the time about the LiIon batteries on the 787, particularly since it flies many routes where there is no close divert in an emergency. However to date no 787s have crashed and their current issues are related to the Rolls Royce engines that some operators have fitted.

I'm not saying there's not a problem at Boeing but I'm not sure it's a company ending cultural problem.
I did 10 hours over the South Atlantic in one recently and I have to say “lithium battery fire” did pop into my head more than once.

Maybe next time don't leave your smartphone in your back pocket :)
Well, I’d be hoping the pilot could descend to 2,000ft, depressurise and open a door to chuck it out. Actually what is the protocol for an item on fire on a flight over large expanses of ocean? Put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye, you’ve had it?

Not at all. What happens is you descended gently into the water, and the cabin doors open. The most beautiful merpeople you have ever seen, male and female, swim in, to the strains of "Stairway to Heaven", thankfully without the lyrics. Water, oxygen, it doesn't matter, living in breathing in nectar. You don't know whether you are in heaven or hell, it doesn't matter. You don't know why you waited so long before you bought that battery, as a merperson gently takes off your rubber underpants, and transport you gently out of first class into the fragrant waters beyond the exit doors. Thousands more await you outside, everyone is smiling and talking the same language.

Alternatively, there is nothing.

Actually what is the protocol for an item on fire on a flight over large expanses of ocean?

I suspect if the fire is bad enough to possibly compromise the aircraft then the pilot would attempt a water landing (which might help put the fire out, but perhaps in a not-so-controlled way). Not the best answer, especially in the dark or in bad weather.

Or maybe they could drop the oxygen masks and depressurize the aircraft ? Probably not an answer for a LiIon fire.

I did 10 hours over the South Atlantic in one recently and I have to say “lithium battery fire” did pop into my head more than once.

Well yes.. I'm hoping to do slightly over 10 hours over the very same atlantic in a couple of days. I was rather hoping they'd fixed the battery problem, and also that the crew have access to some sort of fire fighting equipment... just in case..

A completely different aircraft from the one that fell out of the sky.

This should have read: A completely different aircraft from the ones that fell out of the sky.
Do you usually prefer egos over accuracy?

You Brits are hard to like, sometimes.

Well, I’d be hoping the pilot could descend to 2,000ft, depressurise and open a door to chuck it out. Actually what is the protocol for an item on fire on a flight over large expanses of ocean? Put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye, you’ve had it?

I was once on a Kuwait Air flight from Kuwait City to Muscat, when one of the galley ovens caught fire and filled the cabin with smoke. We made a unscheduled stop in Doha after the crew had extinguished the fire.

This should have read: A completely different aircraft from the ones that fell out of the sky.
Do you usually prefer egos over accuracy?

You Brits are hard to like, sometimes.

Are you a Yank?
Having been in NY two weeks ago I have a very bad opinions of Yanks.
The rudest people on earth live in NY.
And I have stayed in Paris and thought Parisiens were bad!

Are you a Yank?

Hey, who's doing the generalizing now ?
I once visited London and now have a very poor opinion of Europeans ;-)

Well yes.. I'm hoping to do slightly over 10 hours over the very same atlantic in a couple of days. I was rather hoping they'd fixed the battery problem, and also that the crew have access to some sort of fire fighting equipment... just in case..
Mull, I want a blow by blow account of the Mexican trip. I hope you can get to,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza

When you’ve returned, I’m going to tell you a dark story...

I was once on a Kuwait Air flight from Kuwait City to Muscat, when one of the galley ovens caught fire and filled the cabin with smoke. We made a unscheduled stop in Doha after the crew had extinguished the fire.
What were they cooking? And did your clothes smell of it for weeks?

Are you a Yank?
When I went to NY for the first time many years ago, I had heard about their reputation. We were standing looking at a map and a guy walked up and said ( we were braced for a Joe Pesci “f**** you”) may I help you? He must have seen the look of horror. Next day in a clothing store buying trousers, the assistant said to me, what waist are you?....34” says I ( that was then). He put the tape round and said “ a bit heavy on the breakfast this morning sir?”.

advertisement

Back