advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

Modern aircraft are less stable. Cutting the size of big tail surfaces saves weight and drag. Military aircraft stability has got to the point that a human pilot cannot fly them without the computer and civil is following behind. The snag is that military aircraft have ejector seats

F16 started the trend and the next generation of fighters have taken it further. A friend of mine flew an F16 at Nellis. As part of the ground crew for Red Flag back in the day. Al was a glider pilot and experienced power pilot. He flew a Pitts Special aerobatic aircraft in return for maintaining it for the owner. (There's a marginally stable aircraft for you)

A chance remark started a conversation with an F16 pilot who also flew gliders, ending "do you want a trip?" No need to guess the answer.

Once they were off the ground it was "you have control, take me to the range". After the bombing run, Al flew it back to Nellis.

To say that his RAF aircrew colleagues were green with envy is putting it mildly.

Modern aircraft are less stable. Cutting the size of big tail surfaces saves weight and drag. Military aircraft stability has got to the point that a human pilot cannot fly them without the computer and civil is following behind. The snag is that military aircraft have ejector seats

I’ve heard about building an unstable aircraft, making it more manoeuvrable but then needing heavy computer power to keep it stable as the pilot points it in the direction he wants it to go.

That’s fine for military use but on a civilian aeroplane is just asking for trouble surely if/when the computer has a problem?

When doing my MSc 'Aircraft Design' group project at Cranfield in the early 80's (civil aircraft, similar size to 737), one of my colleagues did his thesis on active tailplane control. The idea was that the tail could be made smaller, so lighter with all the advantages that would entail, and would be controlled by computer; in effect the natural static stability was reduced by the size reduction and computers helped fly the plane. Over the last 35 odd years the trend has been the same, so not the necessity to fly high 'g' maneuvers in a military aircraft but an aim to reduce weight, etc.

Whilst at Cranfield we used to fly in the 'airborne labs.' which consisted in ex-HP liquidated Jetstreams. We did stability calcs and after one session and were all confused to find out the aircraft was (slightly) unstable in one pitch mode. Turns out this was correct and a 'feature' of the aircraft !

CHE

Some more developments. Aerospace regulators and engineers are close so that the regulations are pushed in the right direction in an achievable manner. Early days and mostly speculation but it seems a touch odd.

I had a colleague on that second plane. I really hope that Boeing get the hell sued out of them for their arrogance and penny pinching, and that the FAA get grilled mercilessly to expose how they came to abdicate their responsibility to protect the public.

I had a colleague on that second plane. I really hope that Boeing get the hell sued out of them for their arrogance and penny pinching, and that the FAA get grilled mercilessly to expose how they came to abdicate their responsibility to protect the public.
My sympathies and condolences.

This feels like the beginning of the sort of scandal that could break Boeing. From what I have read, the problem is that rectifying the suspected issue could necessitate a redesign which might put the 737 Max outside the realm of a design which could rely on the grandfather rights of the previous 737 type certificates. Which would mean it had to undergo recertification as an entirely new design. Which would cost Billions and take years. Meanwhile, there are 800-odd option holders for the aircraft who will probably cancel, buy Airbus, and sue Boeing for their losses and costs.

Might make the VW emissions scandal look like small beer. It's going to be interesting.

It's a big company and i didn't know him very well, but it does make you sit up and think about certain forms of mortality.

AIUI, Boeing got scared when Airbus secured a large American Airlines order with its 320 Neo. They had initially wanted to design a new plane, but realised they didn't have time to do that anymore and would have to "upgrade" the 737 frame (yet again). The latest, most efficient engines are bigger, and the undercarriage on the 737 is a 1960s design when engines were half the size. A bigger undercarriage would mean redesigned wings, etc. etc, so somebody just moved the engines forward so they could be placed further up in front of the wing, which probably did various bad things to airflow, center of thrust versus center of lift, etc. "Fixed" by adding a piece of software to override the poor pilots. Voilà, improved 737. 5000 sold, coming to an airline near you.

Boeing must be getting close to the toxic brand point that killed Comet. Even supposedly fixed by software, a lot of passengers are going to avoid flying on 737 MAX

Boeing must be getting close to the toxic brand point that killed Comet. Even supposedly fixed by software, a lot of passengers are going to avoid flying on 737 MAX

I think we're getting a bit carried away now. There are no suggestions any other Boeings have safety issues (though the LiIon battery issues on the 787 were quite worrying for a while).

I think we're getting a bit carried away now. There are no suggestions any other Boeings have safety issues (though the LiIon battery issues on the 787 were quite worrying for a while).

Take a look at this documentary to get an idea of boeing company culture and why it might not be an isolated issue:

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/broken-dreams-boeing-787/

It was aired a few years ago on ChanneI 4 iirc. I think boeing has serious cultural problems that are now manifesting themselves in aircraft safety.

Difficult for airlines to cancel Boeing orders. According to article in the Economist, Airbus have no delivery slots until 2025. However they may put pressure on Boeing to cut prices citing passenger concerns.

It's a big company and i didn't know him very well, but it does make you sit up and think about certain forms of mortality.

AIUI, Boeing got scared when Airbus secured a large American Airlines order with its 320 Neo. They had initially wanted to design a new plane, but realised they didn't have time to do that anymore and would have to "upgrade" the 737 frame (yet again). The latest, most efficient engines are bigger, and the undercarriage on the 737 is a 1960s design when engines were half the size. A bigger undercarriage would mean redesigned wings, etc. etc, so somebody just moved the engines forward so they could be placed further up in front of the wing, which probably did various bad things to airflow, center of thrust versus center of lift, etc. "Fixed" by adding a piece of software to override the poor pilots. Voilà, improved 737. 5000 sold, coming to an airline near you.

Which ultimately boils down to unrestrained or poorly regulated Capitalism. And the World is currently moving increasingly in that direction.

advertisement

Back