advertisement

Would an EU section in classifieds be possible (or desirable)?

nein - lead thieves to your door.......
Ouch! Its as good as advertising your address! Expect some unwelcome visitors.

Maybe I should have said "the first three digits/numbers" as that's what some classifieds state, NOT the complete one.. My own entire postcode contains sth like 15 addresses, so even the whole postcode, which would be unnecessary to denote area, doesn't narrow it down to a couple of houses; in my case at least, but more rural areas may differ.

Perhaps a simple tag like the IC, WTD, FS, only NI, IRE, GB, etc Or just put an approximate location, perhaps your nearest town, like the second of third line of your postal address. I don't think they use postcodes in Ireland @Sloop John B ? so that may be a non starter.

From my perspective in Ireland it’s unlikely to be other people in Ireland I will be dealing with more likely to be people in France Germany etc. I am purely basing my request on tax tariffs - Ireland to any other country in the EU will not have the tariffs that Ireland/EU have with the UK have nowadays.
It really makes the classified section useless to me because it is not economically feasible anymore to deal with the UK from Ireland /EU.

We do have postcodes in Ireland but I think the postcodes issue is more of a collection issue, desirable in its own right – but not the main tenet of my request.

.sjb

.sjb

EDIT: this post passed @Sloop John B’s in transit. Basically saying the same thing...

Ireland does use postcodes, but the prefixes cover very large areas, and the last four characters are deliberately not contiguous. The main problem with using them on a public forum is that an Irish postcode corresponds with exactly one address, and you can look that address up very easily.

I would suggest adding a city or county for UK and Ireland to help people decide if they want to collect. Cities are well known, counties are small enough to drive across, and anyone in the country knows where these are in relation to where they live. To anyone outside, it doesn’t matter.

The tag “IRE” is somewhat redundant for international trade reasons, as there’s no difference between sending from Ireland or the EU, whether you’re in Northern Ireland, or the rest of the UK. (Irish and British people get this wrong all the time, but the Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland allows only for the free movement of people, not goods)

I guess if you're in Ireland and wish to buy an expensive item from the UK you'd best find a friend in N.Ireland then just go and pick it up.

After a quick Google I see Ireland introduced a postal code system in 2014, I guess its been a while since I was posting too Ireland.

Last edited:
I always specify my location in Spain in any for sale thread that I start and always make it clear that I am in Spain in any PM replies if I buy anything. It seems to work.

I suppose that I could use a thread title such as "FS - D'Red Naim 552 and PS from Spain" ??????

advertisement

Back