advertisement

Worst Rock Band Of All Time

Rasher

Quadrophenia land
This made me laugh.

http://www.jericsmith.com/worstbands.htm

Not content to just make a list, we have a proper critical paper here and a pretty good explanation of the findings.

I personally believe that this exercise must have been carried out before Nickelback released Rockstar, otherwise it would have all been over in the first paragraph and no further explanation would be required, and truth be told, they were teetering on the edge of that accolade as it was, but on the whole this makes for a good reasoned argument.

When you've read and agreed with this, there are further papers to read at the bottom of the page - the Mellotron was of particular interest.

Thats funny- can't believe s'one spent so much time!

This collective bag of shite calls for no in-depth arguament though- my worst Rock Band Of All Time (worst at top):

Oasis
Hootie And The Blowfish
Green Day
Stereophonics
Genesis
Muse
Motley Crue
Razorlight
Primus
Marillion

He made some clear mistakes IMO, not least of which being to exclude the likes of U2 right at the start of the contest. Also he seems to be under the bizarre impression that poodle rock wasn't a load of arse from the get-go - everyone I know just pointed and giggled at the throwback kids from Wigan etc that liked it, it was never taken remotely seriously. He also excluded the greatest prog LP of all time (Amon Düül's yeti) on racist grounds and ended up nominating Tarkus as winner. That's just sick, as any fule no it is actually the funniest prog LP of all time...

Tony.

GENESIS!

Shurly Shome Mishtake?

Thats funny- can't believe s'one spend so much time!

This collective bag of shite calls for no in-depth arguament though- my worst Rock Band Of All Time (worst at top):

Oasis
Hootie And The Blowfish
Green Day
Stereophonics
Genesis
Muse
Motley Crue
Razorlight
Primus
Marillion

For me it's:

Rush, Nickelback, Queen, Genesis, Kiss & ELO, in no particular order

I think I read in Uncut last month that Liam Gallagher walked into the studio where Noel was mixing down a track, and remarked that it sounded like a Jeff Lynne production, which resulted in one of their biggest and most prolonged fights.

Great article but wrong answer. The correct answer is Queen.

Kevin

Any heavy metal band. And any other band with excessively fast, arpeggio-based noodling. And Genesis.

60 year old pouting twats in rather pathetic costume... one dressed as a..err...pussycat
It beggers belief

1973-80.jpg

Rush, Nickelback, Queen, Genesis, Kiss & ELO, in no particular order

That seems to me the definitive list, although I would replace Nickelback with ELP. Mind you, I don't think I've ever heard any Nickelback records.

I think I read in Uncut last month that Liam Gallagher walked into the studio where Noel was mixing down a track, and remarked that it sounded like a Jeff Lynne production, which resulted in one of their biggest and most prolonged fights.

Excellent. Liam may be a twat, but he has much better taste than his idiot brother.

-- Ian

That seems to me the definitive list, although I would replace Nickelback with ELP.

Ian, you really need to get some ELP. I wholeheartedly recommend both Tarkus and Pictures At An Exhibition. It would be technically impossible to parody either album in a way that didn't reduce the comic impact of the original - they are works of pure genius IMO.

Tony.

Nice to see Marillion are not forgotten.
Maybe its just the extreme contrast with earlier work released under the same name but for me Pink Floyd circa The Final Cut would have to make the final cut. Also there has to be room for:
The Feeling
Journey
Asia
Muse

Seems like an awful lot of effort just to say "here are some bands I don't like".

By the same token, 'Ulysses' is a lot of effort to say 'some stuff happened one day in Dublin' and 'Paradise Lost' is a lot of effort to say 'Adam and Eve really screwed it up for the rest of us'.

Personally, I liked the article (possibly because it singled out some of my own pet dislikes). In a more positive vein, the same author identifies some unsung heroes:
http://www.jericsmith.com/secretbands.htm

By the same token, 'Ulysses; is a lot of effort to say 'some stuff happened one day in Dublin' and 'Paradise Lost' is a lot of effort to say 'Adam and Eve really screwed it up for the rest of us'.
You're absolutely right - I hadn't read it for its literary value. An opus it is, of the downright magnum variety. I smell Nobel.

(I got rather more from those two books than your synopses. YMMV, etc.)

You're absolutely right - I hadn't read it for its literary value. An opus it is, of the downright magnum variety. I smell Nobel.

Neither Joyce nor Milton won the Nobel prize for Literature; it has mostly been won by Swedes. If jericsmith changes his name to jericsson he's in with a chance.

advertisement

Back