advertisement

Worst photographic forum you have joined ...

Not a forum but many, many years ago (1990 ish) I went to a camera club in a town I won't name. Alongside members selling left-over part bottles of dev chemicals and odd bits and bobs of paper for a few quid here and a fiver there, there was a staggeringly dull slide show. Believe it or not it actually featured a shot of the M4 motorway as seen from a bridge. The memory of it is no better than it was at the time. It wasn't an interesting viewpoint or perspective, or anything with any artistic or reportage merit, just a photo as taken by a man standing on a bridge while the traffic went by. I didn't bother going back.

Probably DPR. Some great information in the forums but every thread seems to self implode into arguments that rage on for pages.

i got banned from the leica forum. part of it was because a few people (falsely) accused me of lying about the lens i shot this with:

diner.jpg

that started off the hate, then i mused on the aesthetics of kitschy fireworks (or maybe lightning) photo someone posted by recollecting how cool i thought, as a 13 year-old, burt reynolds and car were in this film:

51Gtyy-B3tL._SY445_.jpg

arguments that rage on for pages.

Who'd a thunk it?

At least cameras don't depend on mains leads!

I don't go anywhere except here, and I pretty much ignore equipment. I think my photos have come a fair way in the last five years, and I've bought nothing except some spare batteries, a dual charger, a 128gb cf card and a cheap used walkabout lens off eBay. Never been happier. By the time I buy another camera I'll probably be about 60 and repeatedly wetting my knickers!

It must be this one - only photo forum I've ever engaged with, and I'm still here feeling like I learn something from everything I see here / ' want to have a go at ... '

You are all bastards, obvs

;)

Who'd a thunk it?

At least cameras don't depend on mains leads!

Sounds like a challenge to me: start a thread in as many photography forums (fora?) as possible "does the mains cable I use to charge my batteries affect the photographs I take?", sit back and watch the fireworks. I'm sure someone, somewhere, would take the bait!

Photo.net

I don't even know if it's still going.

The only forums I regularly visit these days are here, the Leica forum, and the Radio 3 one.

This one - the only one I've ever joined. Also the best. Maybe I should look at others but there's so much to explore from the potential (amazing photos) I've seen on this forum.

Photo.net +1 boring as sin, I think I lasted a couple of months. ISTR Vuk had discovered (more serious) digital at the same time I'd picked up my first digital P&S, and a bunch of us LNL-ers were having a crack at digital.

I've been a flickr user for more than ten years, which is only as boring as the stuff you look at and don't think much of.

This is about the only place I come to to talk photography, apart from the odd conversation on flickr, or a few fabecook rooms. And this is, for the most part, engaging and interesting. Similar to going to a car club meeting and not talking about cars at all, but instead talking architecture, politics, food, construction project management, philosophy, travel etc.

I only post here these days . I've been a member of Flickr for just over 10 year's now. Against my better judgement and pressure off family to post my photographs of local to me stuff, social gatherings etc I joined Facebook and Instagram. That lasted until it was brought to my attention that a family "entrepreneur" (read scroat) had taken one of my "family only" images and had it printed onto shopping bag's and started flogging them. He always seems very anxious to get away from me these days, I've no idea why.

I haven’t found a worst. Nikonians is good, Wam do decent discussions, Leica has been helpful to people who cannot be arsed to read the manual.

None of them approach worst, they are worth a visit every few days,

The Nikon forum at Photo.net used to be great if you had an obscure question like, will a 20mm f/4 AI lens (the version just before the 20mm f3.5) mounted backwards on a PB-4 bellows work with a Nikon FM2? But it was less than stellar if you wanted to discuss pix as opposed to the kit used to take them.

The photo room here is about 235,568,674.49 times better if you want to talk about the (f)artsy aspects of photography.

Joe

The Nikon forum at Photo.net used to be great if you had an obscure question like, will a 20mm f/4 AI lens (the version just before the 20mm f3.5) mounted backwards on a PB-4 bellows work with a Nikon FM2? But it was less than stellar if you wanted to discuss pix as opposed to the kit used to take them.

The photo room here is about 235,568,674.49 times better if you want to talk about the (f)artsy aspects of photography.

although the new nikon mirrorless speculation thread quickly grew to 5 pages.

Vuk,

At least one post in that thread is of a very cute cat so it’s not technically an exclusive Nikon mirrorless speculation thread.

Joe

advertisement

Back