advertisement

World press photo awards 2017

yes, I spent a little time considering them today. The winning image is disturbing, simple... and captured the decisive moment. Although it lacks the complexity of those at the highest levels of the World Press Photo, it's clearly a winning image.

There are some tremendous images, again. It's sad there's so much conflict and difficulty in the world that provides such rich opportunity for making these images in the first place.

yes, I spent a little time considering them today. The winning image is disturbing, simple... and captured the decisive moment. Although it lacks the complexity of those at the highest levels of the World Press Photo, it's clearly a winning image.

There are some tremendous images, again. It's sad there's so much conflict and difficulty in the world that provides such rich opportunity for making these images in the first place.

You just knew the winning picture would be the assassination shot. The second I saw it at the time it was used, I said to myself - World press photo winner right there.

It almost looks staged, a quite surreal image & the bravery of the photographer is off the scale. I think I'd have just froze.

If everything works out I should be seeing the exhibition this September in Perpignan - along with a few dozen more exhibitions.

As ever with the World Press award show it won't be an easy viewing.

Stunning images. The Leshia Evans pic is just era-defining, unquestionably a classic image. Amazing picture of the murderer of the Russian Ambassador too, must take some real bottle to compose a good shot of an armed terrorist!

Thanks for posting the link Ian.

My favourite is the image by Daniel Berehulak that won first prize for the General News - Stories category. The rain combined with the various light sources create a stunning image despite the tragic subject. Would look great if it was a setup shot, the fact it it is reportage shows why it is a worthy winner.

Also agree with you Tony about the Leshia Evans pic, the contrast between the bulk of the body armoured police and the lady in the dress makes for great storytelling.

Thanks all. I've come back to these several times. Not easy viewing. People all see different views and it's good to hear people's thoughts.
I think the boy holding his father's body nr Mosul is just so sad, and is universal - very moving.
The two of explosions (the Iraqi car bomb and air attack in Ukraine) are just so 'there' - extraordinary timing and dynamic.
I like the Cuba hair salon - I just got back from there and this one really captures the dilapidation and also the optimism and positive approach to getting on with life despite it all.
Thanks,
Ian

advertisement

Back