advertisement

world cup 2022

Yes, it was a crap and corrupt decision to stage it in Qatar (care of Blatter & Platini) and would be much better for my conscience if it was in a scrupulously clean country like Switzerland (yikes Nazi gold) or the UK (erm the triangular trade) or Germany (WW2). My point is very few countries are untainted by their past plus I don't remember many objections to Russia in 2018 having already stolen Crimea in 2014 and Brazil in 2014/SA 2010 are countries of huge social inequality and corruption.

It’s not about the past with Qatar though as I see it, it’s about the here and now with them. Their views on homosexuality, women, use of modern day slavery etc. has no place in the modern world.

I was running an event the other night where Stuart Pearce and Terry Butcher were speaking, their views were much the same as most descent likeminded folk and us on here i.e that it should never be taking place over there.

They say money can’t buy you happiness, but it seems pretty much anything else goes.

You could argue that all of the middle-east countries have illiberal laws on homosexuality and limits to women's freedoms - should the F1 boycott those countries. Turkey too - which has debtors prisons where daughters are forced to work as prostitutes to repay the money owed by their fathers - should we stop the British tourist hordes from flocking to Oula Denis. How about the manufactured goods we buy from China despite their treatment of the indigenous Muslims and the working conditions of where many of our clothes are made in Asia. I wonder why football has been singled out again?

No enthusiasm at all from me. I dislike the England national team and the crowd that it attracts at the best of times. The whole thing is entirely objectionable, wrong place again, wrong time of year etc etc

This is a great song about Scotland playing in Pinochet's (Thatcher's) Chile in the warm up to 78...

Where does does this weird concept come from that because the government in my country has done bad things as a result of decisions I had no hand in and may not have agreed with, I must not criticise any bad things that happen anywhere else? Seems pretty feeble logic to me.

Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a "mistake".

Blatter, 86, was president of world football's governing body when Qatar was awarded the tournament in 2010.

Blatter says he voted for the United States and blames then-Uefa president Michel Platini for swinging the vote in Qatar's favour.

"It was a bad choice and I was responsible for that as president at the time," he said.

"Thanks to the four votes of Platini and his [Uefa] team, the World Cup went to Qatar rather than the United States. It's the truth."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

So what is Blatter saying then, does he feel responsible for that choice, or not ?

Why didn't he just shut up. Currently it's Platini who wears the black hat anyway, as many think that Qatar's generous offer for buying Paris St-Germain - in great financial difficulty at the time - only came in exchange for the World Cup. Although until now I didn't know about the ties Platini is supposed to have had with the PSG.

Well this is the story of the month, it's well possible that it's total rubbish too.

I guess the key question is whether he, as president, had the power to challenge or over-rule the choice of Qatar. Even if he didn't, he could have chosen to resign in protest against the decision.

he could have chosen to resign in protest against the decision.
Resign from being king ?

5OqhI3i_4yX8aRWsxuBYqy.jpg

I guess the key question is whether he, as president, had the power to challenge or over-rule the choice of Qatar. Even if he didn't, he could have chosen to resign in protest against the decision.
He voted against it.

advertisement

Back