advertisement

world cup 2022

So the Uk sends weapons to saudi arabia to bomb yemen into oblivion . We allow exploitation of workers by using zero contracts . There are many other things we do wrong

What right do we have to sit in judgement on this matter ?

I love my club team and go as often as I can but the game went a long time ago as far as I’m concerned. The World Cup in Qatar is just another ‘F**k You’ from the football hierarchy, only interested in the bottom line. I’m waiting for no relegation form the Premier League to follow next.

Anyway, I’ll try not to watch it but it may get the better of me.

Cheers BB
The number of Yank owners coming in means no relegation is bound to be on the agenda.

As far as I'm concerned it's yet another break in what is becoming a complete sh*tshow of a season.

So the Uk sends weapons to saudi arabia to bomb yemen into oblivion . We allow exploitation of workers by using zero contracts . There are many other things we do wrong

What right do we have to sit in judgement on this matter ?
Since all we can do is decide whether or not to watch some footie on the TV, our ‘judgement’ won’t make much difference either way.

The World Cups I remember:

1974 Germany - OK but massive accusations of bad/corrupt refereeing (well this repeats itself more or less every time)
1978 Argentina - not OK, General Videla, and Peru probably accepted payment by Argentina for losing 0-6
1982 Spain - OK apart from the Disgrace of Gijón
1986 Mexico - not OK, a repressive regime, but Maradona beat England :D
1990 Italy - not OK, regime run by mafia who also financed much of the project including stadiums
1994 US - OK
1998 France - OK, but at the final Brazil simply not played, don't try to convince me that everything went as it should
2002 Japan/Korea - OK, but loads of stadiums built for nothing
2006 Germany OK
2010 South Africa, more or less OK apart from the vuvuzelas
2014 Brazil - so-so but loads of stadiums built for nothing
2018 Russia [cough]
2022 Qatar oh well.

Somehow it is only logical that the time has now come for countries new to football, like China or India. Why refuse it to them ? Although I would prefer to see African nations which have managed to increase their footballistic level. But they have a whole lot of other problems to solve first. And ensuring safety for its workers is an issue for all these countries, not only Qatar. Bamboo scaffoldings in India anyone ?

And we could boycott all Premier League matches in protest at the owners of Newcastle Utd. We could boycott Italian teams due to having a fascist head of state. German teams as there are Nazis in the Bundestag. Polish and Hungarian teams due to the oppressive nature of their regimes. Spanish teams due to their treatment of Catalonia. The Champions League because of sponsorship. Israeli teams and so on and so forth. Or, as I advocated, a targeted boycott that could have had a realistic chance of (perhaps partial) success.

The more developed countries in Asia and the ME nearly all use Bangladeshi labour in very dodgy conditions. The loans the workers take out to work abroad are paid internally in Bangladesh and lead to the modern slavery.

indeed . and i have to confess I buy very nice jeans at a very cheap price from sainsburys made in Bangladesh !!

indeed . and i have to confess I buy very nice jeans at a very cheap price from sainsburys made in Bangladesh !!
Just think. If the self righteous were to boycott on principle across the board equally they would be skulking around starkers. Not a pleasant thought, I have to admit.

Starmer and Labour front bench are boycotting it; Mark Draper is attending as the Welsh de facto head of state. It’s a funny old game.

I notice Prince William’s principles as President of the FA only stretch so far.
He won’t be going unless we get near the final.

advertisement

Back