advertisement

Words new to you that you need to use in a sentence

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
I came across two today —

Ultracrepidarian — (adjective) expressing opinions on matters outside the scope of one’s knowledge or expertise

Nemophilist — (noun) a person who loves or is fond of woods or forests

Joe

Steve,

True, but **** and **** are well-known words, so under the implied rules they don’t count as words new to you.

joe

Ultracrepidarian — (adjective) expressing opinions on matters outside the scope of one’s knowledge or expertise

Joe
I’m struggling to envisage a situation where I might use even one of those words in a day, let alone two. I lead a sheltered life.

I'll give take on the challenge Joe:

A: It is the nature of a democracy that at the time of elections the majority of the electorate are required to behave in a manner that is ultimately ultracrepidarian as the average voter cannot make an informed, meaningful determination of the possible impact of complex social or fiscal policies which they are being asked to support.

B: My wife likes to spend lots of time in the woods in skimpy outfits, though I am unsure whether that's because she's a nemophilist or a slut.

Joe

Not sure I could shoe 1 into a sentence.

Not sure I could shoe 1 into a sentence.

Yes, I was tempted as well, but I can't see the wood for the trees at the mo'. Does that make me a blind nemophilist. I see that Spellchecker doesn't like this and it's not listed in my New O.E.D. I therefore question the motives of the o.p. in creating this linguistic confusion.:D

Recondite, plus the neologisms sus and highkey.

Gen Z: "It's highkey sus when Gen X uses our slang".
Boomer: "Yes, the latest slang is meant to be recondite."

Bloviate: to speechify or sound off on subjects the bloviator probably knows very little about.

.... also suggests they are past their prime

... or spends their time looking for a lost fish (only to end up at the dentists)

I think you'd need dental treatment just to pronounce some of these words.

John

advertisement

Back